Weaponizing Masochism - My horrible experience with the "Death Throes Compilation" add-on

Death Throes Compilation

A collection of final sounds from Ji-Woon's victims, adapted to a vinyl record. Terrifying and emotionally raw.

  • Laceration caused by blades is based on proximity to the target, starting at a minimum of 50%.
  • Each blade hit increases the laceration caused by blades up to a maximum of 200%.
  • Once a blade misses, the laceration caused by blades is reset to 50%.

Allow me to tell you folks a story...

A story about a young man with far too much free time on his hands and an unquenchable desire to do really, really stupid stuff. Like use the Death Throes Compilation on Trickster for an extended period of time on every single map in the game. And deeply regret it. This is my story.

To put it bluntly, this add-on makes Trickster even more painful to play. I'm sure anyone else who has had the misfortune to play him is wondering how it is even possible. I will now explain why. The gameplay loop of Trickster is fairly straightforward:

  • Throw knives in the general direction of a survivor after finding them.
  • Lose ground and fail to circumnavigate small objects as you struggle to land a total of 16 knives.
  • Hook the survivor as 3 gens pop.

The reason why the loop is so bad is due to the nature of the Trickster's knives. The longer you hold down the fire button the more knives you throw. But the spread and recoil, (Yes. The recoil from your throwing knives), will also increase. So not only are your knives being randomly tossed in the direction you are facing, with each knife being thrown from the right and left having slightly different trajectory as well, but your camera is being forcibly moved with each throw. Meaning you have adjust for 3 factors every time you throw and this leads to basically guessing your way to hitting 16 knives unless you're point blank.

With this in mind I now want you to imagine playing a game as Trickster...

Without ever missing a single knife

Because that is what Death Throes forces you to do if you want any value out of it. Because if, god forbid, you start pelting a survivor with knives and have the sheer audacity to miss a shot your knives have their power cut in half.

If you're lucky and only miss a knife after landing 4 or 5, you can still down the person in around 7 to 8 knives. You know, the normal amount it takes to down them anyway. But if you're a normal human being and miss a knife after only landing a few because of all of the aforementioned factors that make it difficult to land them in the first place, then it actually takes longer to down a survivor than it does normally.

But I have wrinkled the corners of my galaxy-sized grey matter and thought up the most ingenious solution to this abominable design problem. I treated every single knife as if it was a hatchet. And it was awful.

Every single time I was in a chase the thought of missing a knife and resetting my bonus was utterly nerve wracking. I only dared to throw 2 knives at most and compulsively used STBFL in case a survivor tried to run around me. Because survivor movement is still utter bullsh1t even after the animation changes. I had never been so stressed out playing killer before. I had to be the dictionary definition of perfect with every. Single. Throw. And I have to tell you, even when I pulled off the impossible and managed to down someone flawlessly... I felt more relief than a sense of accomplishment.

The only phrase going through my head was "Oh thank god I don't have to chase this person for another 2 minutes" not "Hell yeah I just flawlessly downed this person!". Using this add-on correctly forces all of the concentration of playing Huntress but with 10 times the punishment. You can't even think about using The Main Event, not that it was any good to begin with, and all of the microscopic joy left to be had when playing Trickster is completely evaporated.

Long story short: If you want to strain yourself to a level that has never been seen before in dbd history just to do what every other projectile killer than can do, but unnecessarily harder, use Death Throes Compilation and never miss a single shot.

Comments

  • I love the idea of an add on that rewards hitting consistent knives but with recoil and hitboxes it’s pretty much impossible to use

  • @Phasmamain said:

    I love the idea of an add on that rewards hitting consistent knives but with recoil and hitboxes it’s pretty much impossible to use

    It would be soooo much better if the knives were always pin-point accurate.

  • I used this distressing and the brown knives. I did worse than when I played perkless BK myers.

  • @Friendly_Blendette said:

    I used this distressing and the brown knives. I did worse than when I played perkless BK myers.

    I can believe that.