What are your issues with the introduction of a 5th perk slot?

Heyo! I have seen numerous 5th perk slot threads over the past several months, and most of them have people replying and saying that they would be concerned with the balance of the game.

I'd like to develop this idea further with this community and find some accompanying changes to the game that would implement the 5th perk slot while addressing people's concerns. My hope is that if we can create something good enough, the devs might actually considering implementing it!

So! Please share your concerns and suggestions with us! I'm just going to address one blatant issue that would probably crash the game if it were not addressed:

A 5 totem perk build with Haunted Ground would most likely cause one perk to be deactivated at the start of the match or even a game crash. Adding a sixth totem to every map would buff NOED which I know is something that is not wanted at all. So, just make Haunted Ground only light 1 hex totem if there are 5 hex perks in your build or no extra dull totem if you break it with Undying active.

All input is greatly appreciated. If you want to make a wall of text with changes, go for it! If you want to bounce ideas off of people, go for it! Let's have a good discussion and try to make something really great

Comments

  • @Exerlin said:

    Heyo! I have seen numerous 5th perk slot threads over the past several months, and most of them have people replying and saying that they would be concerned with the balance of the game.

    I'd like to develop this idea further with this community and find some accompanying changes to the game that would implement the 5th perk slot while addressing people's concerns. My hope is that if we can create something good enough, the devs might actually considering implementing it!

    So! Please share your concerns and suggestions with us! I'm just going to address one blatant issue that would probably crash the game if it were not addressed:

    A 5 totem perk build with Haunted Ground would most likely cause one perk to be deactivated at the start of the match or even a game crash. Adding a sixth totem to every map would buff NOED which I know is something that is not wanted at all. So, just make Haunted Ground only light 1 hex totem if there are 5 hex perks in your build or no extra dull totem if you break it with Undying active.

    All input is greatly appreciated. If you want to make a wall of text with changes, go for it! If you want to bounce ideas off of people, go for it! Let's have a good discussion and try to make something really great

    Simply, it would allow a high degree of pretty broken builds on either side.

  • I'd agree with killers getting a fifth perk slot but not survivors.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    Honestly, a 5th perk slot would benefit survivors much more than the killer.

    Imagine:

    Dead Hard,Iron Will,DS,BT,Unbreakable

    No thanks 🤢

    This is how I see this also. Would break killers.

  • They can't balance their game with 4 perks, let alone with 5 perks

  • @Exerlin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052213#Comment_2052213

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052220#Comment_2052220

    Do y'all have any specific builds in mind that you think would be absolutely broken with 1 extra perk? I know that any additional perk on an already good build would make it a stronger build, but is there anything you'd think would be too oppressive for either side?

    dude it's not about the build it's perk strength, an additional perk slot won't make theme builds better than just having that extra meta perk in your meta build. You want me to name a build i don't have to since as said just put on another meta perk in your meta build as you usually have to choose from an exhaustion perk, iron will, DS, unbreakable, prove thyself, OoO.

    point is this isn't a good thing to do to the game because meta is a meta for a reason and this would make the meta stronger.

  • @Exerlin said:

    oh here's a little idea for how the 5 perks would be displayed in the bottom-right in-game

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/YXH4YVRXY52R/image.png

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052173#Comment_2052173

    Yeah, and that's where the main balancing issue lays imo. However, I believe that we would see the meta slaves deviate slightly from the norm and the meta would become more versatile.

    For example, if I really really wanted to win, I'd run Adrenaline, Dead Hard, Borrowed Time, DS, and Unbreakable. But with DS getting nerfed, that's really not too bad. I have all the tools I need, but not much utility elsewhere. There are some diminishing returns here. So, I'd ditch DS and Borrowed Time or Unbreakable, and now I have 3 great perks and 2 free slots. Now I can synergize 2 perks together, such as Self Care + Botany, or Unbreakable + Tenacity, or just slap on some good and slept on standalone perks like Iron Will, WGLF, We'll Make It, Alert, Bond, whatever.

    "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."


1 2 ›