Unbreakable Set Patch Discussion
Just a little discussion on unbreakable sets, why they exist, and why the bug might have been fixed.
Yesterday, Behaviour made the choice to fix the (community beloved) bug that allowed us to mix unbreakable sets of cosmetics. Many in the community are understandably upset that their unofficial way to mix cosmetics was taken away when other bugs that make gameplay awful still exist and aren't prioritized. Heaven knows Behaviour has a long laundry list of requested things, but why was this one prioritized?
A common answer I hear is "licensing issues". As of right now, Cheryl is the only character with unbreakable sets that I know of. The rest with sets (Nea, Kate, Jane, etc) are original content characters. No copyright problems exist with their OC. So why not just make Cheryl's sets unbreakable? (I also want to add that Cheryl is allowed to wear several different shirts with her base green skirt that did not explicitly exist in Silent Hill Games. Would Konami really be so particular to not want "Fresh Start" Cheryl being mixed with a green top or a Christmas sweater? I don't think so.
Another answer I hear is "clipping issues". Yes, some cosmetics just don't mix. Everyone has seen torso-less Kate from her Lady Volksfest outfit. But most of the outfits I have seen created by the glitch have absolutely no clipping or graphical issues. Kate's flower crown on a pink sweater or Jane's Greek hair with a different outfit? No issues. Why not simply link the pieces that would cause problems?
I think the main motivation for unbreakable sets is simple: cold, hard cash. Keeping desirable heads attached to bodies means more revenue for Behaviour. More people willing to spend bigger for pieces they want.
What I don't understand is this: People were more willing to purchase sets knowing they could mix it with other cosmetics. So why take that away from the community? And more importantly, why make unbreakable sets in the first place when it is obvious that clipping and licensing is not really the issue most of the time?
Comments
honestly keeping the glitch as a marketing tactic to make more money while patching it for only specific sets that break like clown with a different head would probably earn them more money then outright patching it
Agreed. It was making them more money and only certain sets needed to be fixed. And it was technically an unofficial exploit by the community, so would they really run into significant problems with copyright?
While the need for them is there(Minotaur and Krampus) it isn’t need on sets like jane’s goddess muse or especially twins blood and guts set
I agree. No clue why some sets exist when they would be fine as separate pieces (beside that it's a cash-grabbing method).
At least if you did the glitch it's still avaliable on your character, you just can't change cosmetics. I'm never taking my flower crown off Kate lol
"No no no. This makes too much sense you guys aren't supposed to be having fun of any kind."
- BHVR
Thank goodness right?! I’m never changing my cosmetics lol. Thankfully you can also change the things you could outside of a lobby. (I have Fresh start Cheryl set with a black top on but I can still put her sweater on or other tops that aren’t part of the OG set)
Oh but occasionally when I load into a lobby I see my vanilla cosmetics on her again! But when I load into the game, they’re back to my glitched ones. Phew! So if that happens to you, DO NOT touch anything, just trust it’ll load in okay haha.