Trapper meta shift?

Before the map updates and the tremendous, indirect nerf to Trapper which is the new grass, the best addons for the bear traps were the (mandatory) bag and in my opinion Tar Bottle. It made traps actually harder to see, unlike the Longwood Dye, opening up many trapping spots that simply wouldnt work otherwise.

In the PTB patch notes it says "Addons that reduce the chance of escape increase the maximum number of attempts as well as reducing the chance per attempt".

So with the reworked grass and the rng nerf to Trapper, I reckon the addon slot the Tar Bottle usually took will be replaced by Setting Tools and Fastening Tools. Wax Brick is propably still going to be D tier.

All this considered I think Trappers playstyle might change. The number of spots where traps can be hidden to prepare loops and paths is shrinking with every update, encouraging a more bland style where traps are supposed to be used in chase. This way, all they do is force a relocation to a new tile, only to be disarmed by a teammate shortly after.

Don´t get me wrong, if the numbers on the reworked addons are decent, this is very appreciated to make the rng nerf hurt Trappers less, but I very much dislike the continuous effort to shoehorn Trapper into a boring and uneffective playstyle while still not addressing his blatant issues that persisted ever since he was implemented into the game.


What´s your opinion?

Comments

  • I hate the new playstyle. My build (stbfl and infectious) is good for it, but its so boring. I want to lure survivor in traps and not only create deadzones.

    The new change is not even that important. On the new maps you personally need to force a survivor into a trap (they see it but have no choice anyway) otherwise survivor with eyes cant get trapped.

  • No change for me then, I've been using the setting and fastening tools for ages. Tar bottle is lame as hell.

  • @TicTac said:

    I hate the new playstyle. My build (stbfl and infectious) is good for it, but its so boring. I want to lure survivor in traps and not only create deadzones.

    The new change is not even that important. On the new maps you personally need to force a survivor into a trap (they see it but have no choice anyway) otherwise survivor with eyes cant get trapped.

    Yeah,it's really sad.

    Trapping loops and herding the survivors into them was always so much fun but now that kind of playstyles is pretty much dead with those reworked maps :(

    Let my play trapper not machete man >:(

  • @not_Queef said:

    No change for me then, I've been using the setting and fastening tools for ages. Tar bottle is lame as hell.

    I like these, too, don´t get me wrong. I prefer a cunning way of using traps over using them in the most obvious and boring ways, though, but to each their own.

  • @TicTac said:

    I hate the new playstyle. My build (stbfl and infectious) is good for it, but its so boring. I want to lure survivor in traps and not only create deadzones.

    The new change is not even that important. On the new maps you personally need to force a survivor into a trap (they see it but have no choice anyway) otherwise survivor with eyes cant get trapped.

    Don't worry, I'm the survivor you want to go against in these situations because I never pay attention to my surroundings and even when I know I'm against Trapper I still fall for the freakin shack death box lol <3

  • Most new map is really good for me (or because I play in Ultra setting?). Except AutoHeaven is massive nerf since the contrast between Light & Dark area is too high. Dark enough to make WoodDye a waste, Light enough to make TarBottle a black spot in a bright green area.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    Most new map is really good for me (or because I play in Ultra setting?). Except AutoHeaven is massive nerf since the contrast between Light & Dark area is too high. Dark enough to make WoodDye a waste, Light enough to make TarBottle a black spot in a bright green area.

    Agree on Autohaven, its so bad there.

    And yes, it doesn´t show as much on Ultra, but on medium and low settings a Survivor needs to be completely unaware to be caught off guard, traps can be seen inside the grass from very far away.

  • Bhvr why do you hate trapper so much??

  • Iri Stone + Stitched Bag is the way to go. You don't have to reset the traps, it's automatic and people casualy walk in to them.

    Just some maps are impossible to win, like lery's, because there are too many windows and traps are plain visible.

  • @BaldursGate2 said:

    Iri Stone + Stitched Bag is the way to go. You don't have to reset the traps, it's automatic and people casualy walk in to them.

    Just some maps are impossible to win, like lery's, because there are too many windows and traps are plain visible.

    In my opinion Iri stone changes Trappers playstyle too much. It promotes "lazy" gameplay. I also only have like 60 Iri Stones so it wouldn´t be feasible to do this every game on top of that. So yeah while strong, I don´t think it should be his default loadout.

  • I just tried PBT with Trapper on 2 new map.

    The game was super dark on 1st floor, and that was mostly his play ground since the traps are hard to see, the top floor is just plain obvious. New Game is bright everywhere, the visual is good, but Trapper surely an M1 Killer on that map. Another nerf for my main Trapper.

    New Crotus is so bright, though it doesnt matter because the ground texture is rich and traps are easily blend in.


    And I just try playing on Low setting instead of Ultra. Traps are obvious everywhere. As Trapper main, I feel pain to tell you the best counter on him is actually Low setting...

  • @C3Tooth said:

    I just tried PBT with Trapper on 2 new map.

    The game was super dark on 1st floor, and that was mostly his play ground since the traps are hard to see, the top floor is just plain obvious. New Game is bright everywhere, the visual is good, but Trapper surely an M1 Killer on that map. Another nerf for my main Trapper.

    New Crotus is so bright, though it doesnt matter because the ground texture is rich and traps are easily blend in.

    And I just try playing on Low setting instead of Ultra. Traps are obvious everywhere. As Trapper main, I feel pain to tell you the best counter on him is actually Low setting...

    That´s kinda what I feared already. If you continue playing the PTB, please feel free to share some insights you gain, especially regarding new Asyulm (notably grass alignment, density and visibility) to a fellow Trapper main!