Overview of the January 2021 Developer Update
The Clown: Gameplay Update
- The Clown will now be able to switch between The Afterpiece Tonic and Afterpiece Antidote.
- The Antidote will be delayed when thrown. And after being activated will boost the speed of all players who come into contact with it by 10%.
- The Clown will also have his base reload time reduced to 3 seconds down from 5.
I'm going to take a rare stance and not immediately vilify these changes. Since the Antidote will be delayed when using it, unlike the Tonic, I think this will allow it to be used more aggressively against survivors without giving them a free speed boost. I urge all of the doomsayers currently preaching their most recent sermon to focus on what people should be actually worried about, what the devs are going to do to Clown's add-ons. I still shudder when I think about what they did to poor Hillbilly. And I doubt Clown is going to get much better.
HUD Update
Although this update will come with the ability to scale the HUD, unless you can also re-arrange it it's not going to be good. All of the important UI elements went from being all in one corner of the screen that you could easily look at to being scattered across it. It looks like something from a mobile game. Why is the right-mouse button prompt shown twice? I really hope they reconfigure this before release.
Survivor Locomotion Update
This all seems very good. In-particular I like how they're finally adding in an animation to getting survivor up from the dying state. No complaints here. All seems well.
Matchmaking Rating & Rank Rewards
The dreaded rating system is set to return. And I have no reason not to say how much fear I hold in regards to it. The devs have shown, over the course of 4 years, that they still struggle to balance their game. I simply do not trust them to make a good, or even functional, MMR system.
Ranks finally reward players when the rank reset occurs. But the rewards for each rank are only bloodpoints. No auric cells or iridescent shards. I'm fairly disappointed. But at least there's an actual point to ranks now. Below are the values for each rank in regards to their rewards.
Graphics Update
Crotus Prenn Asylum and Gideon Meat Plant are the next maps to be reworked. Both are fairly old and need some changes. But I personally would have preferred Coldwind Farm. Regardless, I'm fully expecting breakable walls on both maps in the dumbest of locations. So brace yourselves for that.
Miscellaneous
- Wraith will be completely invisible beyond 24 meters, somewhat visible between 18-24 meters, and shimmering like normal at 18 meters and below while cloaked.
- Trapper's traps will be harder to escape when first attempting to, and become easier in each subsequent attempt.
- Deep Wounds is getting reduced to 20 seconds down from 30 and Legion's add-ons that reduce Deep Wounds are getting nerfed accordingly.
- Diversion is having it's activation timer lowered and is being "simplified" in it's lower perk tiers.
- Fixated will work when injured.
- Hex: Undying will now always be cleansed first and will only reveal the aura of survivors near dull totems, but will now work with Hex perks that use tokens.
- Iron Maiden is getting its duration increased from 15 seconds to 30.
- Open handed is getting its boost increased from 8 meters to 16, but is no longer stackable between survivors running the perk.
- Second Wind is getting it's heal time reduced.
Not much to say here. Almost all of the perk changes are positive. I think they might have overdone it on Undying a tiny bit. But being able to use Devour Hope with it will be very fun I imagine.


Comments