1 year of playing DBD here are my thoughts
Well its been a whole year since I got this game. After a year of playing, grinding, and mostly enjoying the game, I have my thoughts on it. First of all, this game isn't perfect, that doesn't mean its terrible, it just needs work. Bug issues are a major problem for this game, I don't encounter these bugs on a daily, maybe I do and I don't realize. I will admit it is a buggy game, but I know Devs know about this and are possibly trying to work on it. Now lets talk about game play design, I will say it is a great idea overall, the idea to play as a brutal killer hunting down Survivors is an amazing idea, however there are some complications. Map design is one of them, the game has an RNG setup, some of these maps are favor one of the sides. An example is Hawkins many can agree that it is killer sided, or Haddonfield is survivor sided, that hurts the balancing of the game. I will admit some of the maps look stunning but that won't matter when you are playing on a map that greatly hurts your chances of winning.
Now lets talk about gameplay of characters, lets start with Killers. Killers are a very important aspect of the game, there are different Killers all in which have different abilities they use to hunt and kill. Killers imo tend to be the big marketing parts of each Chapter, and some of them are down right awesome Clown, Doctor, Slinger, and even Blight. They have iconic killers from other franchises like Micheal Myers, Freddy Krueger, Demogorgon, and recently Pyramid Head. However there's an issue, some of them aren't stronger then other killers. An example is Legion, they are arguably the weakest killer due to their power. So playability for some Killers doesn't come very often. The Devs need to work on this greatly. Survivors aren't entirely different from one another, they are just skins and aren't all that different which make sense gameplay wise, but maybe something unique to them from time to time.
The Perks of this game are also a very important factor, they are sometimes passive abilities or even actual actions one can do. I like the design of them and some I actually love, example is STBFL, I love using it on my killer, or Iron will for my survivor. Now here comes the problem some of the best perks are occasionally from characters of chapter that are locked behind a paywall, and you have to then pay money for the chapter or iri shards (Depends) in order to get the characters, then you will have to grind away thousands of BP to get the perk, which also will randomly come into your characters Bloodweb and sometimes won't ever. That sucks and make this game feel like a chore, I wish there was a way to select certain perks you want for a character rather then grinding away.
Speaking of Chapters the Devs always release 4 chapters every year, some of which are liscensed and come from other franchises. Now the only way to get them is to pay actual money for them, which I can't honestly complain, the devs don't own the characters they have rights to have them in the game but not ownership. They also tend to spend money to get these liscenses and have to payback that money to the licensed shareholders.
But onto the Community, lets just say it can sometimes feel 50/50. Some bits of the community are good and welcoming people, the other... a Toxic group of ######### who are sometimes entitled or just douchebags. It is somewhat unwelcoming and even hurtful but the toxicity is nowhere near as bad as other game titles.
Finally I'll talk about the devs themselves, let just me say I have never met more secretive, questionable on choice making group of developers I've ever met. Its not uncommon for game developers to be quite about the videogames their making, but this amount fo secrecy is quite shocking. Sometimes it feels like the Devs hardly notice any major feedback or concerns, and those that have made their voice loud and clear sometimes go unnoticed and sometimes aren't even cared about. Now what I mean by questionable I mean by some of the desicions the Devs made, were absolutely terrible, prime examples of this was the Halloween event, even the way they released the recent chapter. This Halloween event was a flat out cash grab, like no question about it, the new chapter was the buggiest the game has been and the way it was released was terrible, and greatly ruined the reputation the devs had.
I have a good idea why the chapter released the way it was, was because of liscensed sharehodlers but Bricky greatly explains it better the I ever will. Overall DBD isn't terrible, it just needs work, I think it good game in design but it still needs work. The community isn't the most wholesome but definitely is not the worst. I hope to play this gmae for along time I just hope it gets better down the road, and I want to thank you all who helped me through 2020. i wish you all a happy new year and I will see you in the fog.
Comments