UNPOPULAR OPINION, maps rework suggestions

AIMS AND PURPOSES

With this post, I propose balanced changes for all the maps in the game. I will especially make the outdoor maps better to play as killer and the indoor ones better to play as survivor. And partly improve other things.

Maybe someone will say "You sucks, goodness you are not in the balance team". But you can comment on anything, I will be happy to read, constructive criticism. Also if the forum comunity manager see this, please share it.

MAPS

At the beggining, we didn't have the amount of maps we have now. The developers solved this making 5 variations of the first three realms (Macmillan state, Coldwind farm and Autohaven wreckers). This way the game wasn't so boring for the first players. But nowadays Dead by daylight has 35 maps, (55% of those are simple variations of the three mentioned above + Bhadam preschol). This makes the problem about playing for example 4 matches and getting in 3 of them the same realm, that over time becomes annoying and a bit boring. I think it should be maximum 3 variations in a realm, just for more variety.

Another problem is some players ask the devs to eliminate the indoor maps and others complain there are so many outdoor maps. The outdoor ones favor more the survivors, also killers like: Hillbilly, Nurse, Huntress, Clown, Oni and Blight. The indoor ones favor more Michael Myers, Wraith, Pig and Ghostface, also stealth add-ons and perks.

I believe the best maps are those that include elements and structures of both types. Good examples are Haddonfield, Grave of glenvale, Ormond and Springwood, which have several buildings that reduce the visibility of survivors.

EMPTY AND OPEN SPACES / DEATH ZONES

In all the outdoor maps it's very difficult to reach generators without the survivors seeing you already approaching 40 meters, that makes impossible to sneak up with stealth killers. In Coldwind farm, Macmillan state, Autohaven wreckers, Crotus prenn asylum, Red forest and Ormond, some places spawn with just some trees and nothing else.

The solution for this problem will be reduce the visibility in the outdoor maps by putting more of obstacles and elements like (ruins, debris, walls, boxes, big rocks, trees, etc). Also in the limits of the maps would be nice. (Note: I'm NOT saying to put in those places more loops with pallets)

Besides, in the map Red forest, always spawns hills, which one can climb from two sides, that's definitely better. It will be good if the devs put this in other maps. Also, adding vegetation and trees in the hills makes it more natural.

BREAKABLE WALLS

I believe this mechanic is an awesome and fantastic idea, also convenient to give the killers more things to do in a match than just: patrol and kick gens, chase survivors and use their power. Survivors in a match can do a lot of tasks: repair, heal, get chased, clean totems, unlock chests, hide in lockers, open exit gates.

But in the visual reworks the developers haven't shown us a total good placement and use of this new mechanic. That has made many players complain and hate them. There are two ways in how put them:

  • Shorten the way towards a generator or shorten the tour of a loop.

MIST

This concept also improves the game visually and gives an excellent atmosphere.

Increasing the base amount of fog in the maps, maybe a 20%, and buffing the mist bottles offerings:

Brown bottle = from slighly to moderately / Yellow bottle = from moderately to considerably

Will balance, the outdoor maps even more, reducing the visibility all over the map. Making it more hard (NOT IMPOSIBLE) for survivors to spot killers far away in the distance. (Note: make the mist more transparent to the killers)

Some people will say that increase up to this amount it's just too much for survivors. But trust me, you can go to the wiki and see it by yourselfs, there is very little difference in the comparations.

PALLETS

I'm personally sick about this problem. Obviusly it isn't fair for killers to chase survivors around a strong (super safe) pallet, and it isn't fair to run the killer around a weak (unsafe) pallet. Well, why don't nerf a bit the strong ones, and buff a bit the weak ones?

Because c'mon, there are some pallets, which are seriously ridiculous.

GENS

It should be a minimum distance between gens, maybe 40 meters. I'm saying this because sometimes I have seen generators at a distance (I'm not kidding) of 30 meters. Is very difficult to repair those gens as survivor, because the killer can easily make the 3 gen strategy and only patrol those. In the maps Midwich elementary school and Gideon meat plant, this doesn't applies.

_

Now you will see some draws I have been doing to make my explanations better to understand.

Black rectangles = breakable walls / White rectangles = windows / Black ovals = pallets / G = generators

- - - - - = spaces or holes where you can drop (I forget to put these lines in some draws)


MACMILLAN STATE

Shelter woods

Eliminate the map from the game. Process to reach only 4 maps for realm, more variety.

  • There is no high places to activate Balanced landing, even after the visual rework.
  • The center is an entire open and death zone for survivors, with many others. Very difficult also to play stealthy as killer.
  • This map is the only one who doesn't have a main building or a special structure. Lacks of originality.


Groaning storehouse

IMG_20201108_111333_469.jpg
  • I made it more square. The killers can patrol gens more easily, with a more circular route, map size is the same.
IMG_20201128_183345_774.jpg

Posible spawns

  • Window 1 and pallet 2 appears.
  • Window 2 and pallet 1 appears.


Suffocation pit

IMG_20201205_115634_815.jpg


Ironworks of misery

Eliminate the breakable wall in the upper floor main building. Very bad for killer.


Coal tower

Just perfect, it remains the same.


AUTOHAVEN WRECKERS

Wretched Yard

Eliminate the map from the game. Process to reach only 4 maps for realm, more variety.

  • This map is the only one who doesn't have a main building or a special structure. Lacks of originality.
  • There is just one hill in the map. Not enough high places to activate Balanced landing.
  • Too many open spaces, there aren't enough high structures to block the vision of survivors.


Blood lodge

IMG_20201120_164958_123.jpg
  • I know how is the new version of the cabin. In the draw, the empty corner is where are the stairs that leads to the upper floor.


Gas heaven

IMG_20201108_111820_055.jpg
  • I just want the survivors have more high places to activate Balanced landing. And I personally love the idea of being in a maze of car piles in a scrapping. If it isn't a good idea, okay, it remains the same. But al least drop what I've put, that survivors can climb on top. (Note: I'm NOT saying to put in those places more loops with pallets)


Wretched shop

IMG_20201128_235809_519.jpg
  • Ignore the number 1 in the brekable wall and the window (mistake).


Azarov's resting place

IMG_20201206_151802_132.jpg
  • I personally love the old version of the office, so I just put those breakable walls to short the tour of the loops.


COLDWIND FARM

Rotten fields

Eliminate the map from the game. Process to reach only 4 maps for realm, more variety.

  • Too many cornfield, annoying for Nurse, Myers, Ghostface, Huntress and Deathslinger.
  • There is just one hill in the map. Not enough high places to activate Balanced landing.
  • Too many open spaces, there aren't enough high structures to block the vision of survivors.


Thomson house

IMG_20201210_185549_690.jpg
  • If you take a look, you can realise that I putted two breakable walls leading to a fall, and one more hole. With those the killer can patrol the upper floor generator and then move easily outside the house without taking the stairs. Also next to the box which is located in front of the window above, I put a fall for the killer to counter that window.


Rancid abattoir

IMG_20201120_225900_256.jpg
  • I put those breakable walls, so the killer doesn't have to surround the entire structure to patrol the generator.


Fractured cowshed

Just perfect, it remains the same.


Torment creek

IMG_20201208_170649_630.jpg


CROTUS PRENN ASYLUM

Disturbed Yard

IMG_20201120_165106_778.jpg
  • Reduced the size, from 11,000 m2 to 10,000 m2.
  • The main building is very big and complex, hard for me to draw it. So I'm just going to say that it is easy where to place the breakable walls, at least for me, is obvius.
  • At least two breakable walls in the lower floor.


Father campbell's chapel

Just perfect, it remains the same.


HADDONFIELD

  • Reduce the length of the low/high fences and hedges, that spawn around the houses.
  • In this map are too many houses, I'm sorry but I can't do the lower and upper floor of all of them. I know that a lot of you would be waiting for this suggestion to finally appear, because of the polemic of this map.
  • All that I can say is: 2 or 3 breakable walls and 2 or 3 windows in each house, can be distributed between the two floors. Where? Well, I think is obvious if someone wants to put them right.
IMG_20201209_155514_768.jpg

Possible spawns

  • The windows 1 and 2 appears.
  • The windows 3 and 4 appears.


BACKWATER SWAMP

Both maps are perfect, they remain the same. Just one thing, eliminate the totem spawns in the limits of the maps, very difficult for survivors to find.


LERY'S MEMORIAL INSTITUTE

The map has so much rooms with a lot of things. Is very complex and difficult to draw for me. But is a pretty good map.

  • Put the totem spawns in a bit easiest places to find for survivors.


RED FOREST

Mother's dwelling

IMG_20201121_163914_644.jpg
  • Reduced the size, from 12,000 m2 to 10,000 m2. Too big for some killers, very hard to patrol gens.


Temple of purgation

Just one thing, eliminate the giant metal doors in the lateral sides of the temple, they are since the beggining always open.


SPRINGWOOD

Eliminate two maps from the game. Process to reach only 3 maps for realm, more variety.

IMG_20201121_131901_501.jpg
  • I think is obvius, right. The only difference between this maps is the location of their four main buildings. And three of them are perfect squares.
  • I had already put the draw of one of the main buildings, when I was talking about Haddonfield.


GIDEON MEAT PLANT

IMG_20201107_133020_430.jpg
  • The stairs in every match are located in the same places, this way the map isn't so annoying to play as a survivor.
  • Eliminate the metal gates between rooms (in the upper and lower floor), they are since the beggining always open. This way there is more space and freedom to go around the map.
  • Add more windows in the upper floor, like 4 or 5.


YAMAOKA STATE

Both maps are perfect, they remain the same.


ORMOND

I have to disagree about the placement of some breakable walls, but its okay.

  • The main building is very big and complex, hard for me to draw it.
  • In front of the main and rear entrance of the building, there are huge open fields with almost any obstacules or structures to block the vision of survivors. Imposible to play stealthy.
IMG_20201128_183434_955.jpg
  • This is the small house which is located close to the main building, above a hill. Is a forgoten place that survivors never use. So I buff the structure a bit to push the survivors more to use it as a looping place. Also I will put the posibility, that inside can spawn a chest or a totem.


HAWKINS NATIONAL LABORATORY

  • Too many weak pallets: all the pallets located in the hallways, 3 small rooms with an unsafe pallet and 3 big rooms with 2 unsafe pallets. I want to explain something first:

There are 6 variations for the three small rooms that the map has, all with an unsafe pallet (but only 3 of them have an upper floor where the survivors can also loop the killer). Here are the ones without upper floor (I didn't change anything):

IMG_20201225_140118_842.jpg

The same with the big rooms, 6 variations for three that the map has, all with two unsafe pallets (3 of them have an upper floor).

What I would do, for make a good balanced change, will be:

1- Eliminate one of the two unsafe pallets in the big rooms (the ones which have upper floors, because those are the strongest). Example:

IMG_20201224_113754_281.jpg

2- Eliminate 2 or 3 pallets of the hallways.

3- Buff A BIT all the other pallets in the map, the rest of the hallways and all the pallets of the small rooms (the 3 variations which doesn't have upper floor, because those are the weakiest).

  • I don't know how, but I will change the placement of the 2n floor and the structure of the different rooms that it has. Is a forgotten place, the time you have to spend to get to the stairs and reach the generator makes it not worth to guard as killer. Maybe if we remove a stretch of the two stairs, reducing the height at which the floor is and make the gen repairable for two survivors. Will maybe push the survivors and the killer to tour that place more often.
  • This map has seriously, a lot of long walls between the hallways and the rooms, where is perfect to put breakable walls. There are also closed metal doors that are posible to substitute with BW. Putting like 7 or 8 (around the map) in those doors and in the middle of the long walls, could help the killers when they are patrolling gens.


GRAVE OF GLENVALE

IMG_20201223_230221_539.jpg
  • The two bedrooms were dead zones if the killers didn't kick the breakable walls, and obviusly they would never do it because it would favor the survivors. That made those sites simply not exist and that shows poor design in the map. All of you will think that this change to the building makes it even more OP to run as a survivor. But if you take a look you can realise:

1- You don't have to kick a BW to reach the generator if you, after taking the stairs go to the left.

2- It's true that now you can perform a fast vault in the window, but, you fall from a slighly high place and that stuns the survivor a bit. Also now the killer can go to the first bedroom and fall from a hollow in the wall, to catch the survivors by surprise.

3- The distance that a survivor gets for vaulting the window above isn't so much.


MIDWICH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

  • Eliminate the dead end, which is, in one of the stairs (stairs of the 2n floor that leads to the rooftop).
  • Put the totem spawns in a bit easiest places to find for survivors.
  • Remove the god pallet which is at the beginning of one of the stairs. There is a completely classroom full of desks that doesn't have any loop, put the pallet there.
IMG_20201225_181759_533.jpg
  • There are some rooms with two unsafe pallets. Like in Hawkins, I will eliminate one of them and buff a bit the other.
IMG_20201224_141810_537.jpg
  • For the people that doesn't understand what I changed, I simply turned the doors that leads to the garden outside. Now there are horizontally, not vertically. There isn't a straight path from an exit gate to another, you have to sorround the building. The killer is able to patrol the exit gates very easy, because the distance between each one it's too short. That makes it unfair for the last survivor, that tries to escape when the hatch is closed.


Comments