Killer-Specific Matchmaking?

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death already, but I didn't see any threads about it with a cursory search.

When the matchmaking was overhauled to divorce your ELO from your rank, there was also talk of a unique ELO score for each killer, so that players wouldn't be penalized for playing a ton on a favorite, then trying out somebody new. Was this system actually put in place, or was it shelved for another update down the line?

I ask because I picked up a whole mess of new killers during the Halloween sale and regardless of who I choose, I am invariably matched up against red rank tier players with full meta perks, maps & keys, and all manner of custom skins. These are not the sort of survivor teams I would expect to be matched against a killer I've never played before.

I have to say, I was pretty excited by the idea of a killer-specific system. Like, I have a pretty good handle on the basics of a handful of guys, but when I'm getting these kinds of teams every time I try out somebody new, it's pretty discouraging. Especially for killers with more elaborate powers/strategies that take a long time to learn.

TL;DR - Did they shelve the Killer-specific Matchmaking, or does it just assuming you'll be equally good with everybody and you have to lose a whole bunch before you get groups more in line with what you'd need to learn a brand new playstyle?

Comments

  • @Adjatha said:

    Forgive me if this has been discussed to death already, but I didn't see any threads about it with a cursory search.

    When the matchmaking was overhauled to divorce your ELO from your rank, there was also talk of a unique ELO score for each killer, so that players wouldn't be penalized for playing a ton on a favorite, then trying out somebody new. Was this system actually put in place, or was it shelved for another update down the line?

    I ask because I picked up a whole mess of new killers during the Halloween sale and regardless of who I choose, I am invariably matched up against red rank tier players with full meta perks, maps & keys, and all manner of custom skins. These are not the sort of survivor teams I would expect to be matched against a killer I've never played before.

    I have to say, I was pretty excited by the idea of a killer-specific system. Like, I have a pretty good handle on the basics of a handful of guys, but when I'm getting these kinds of teams every time I try out somebody new, it's pretty discouraging. Especially for killers with more elaborate powers/strategies that take a long time to learn.

    TL;DR - Did they shelve the Killer-specific Matchmaking, or does it just assuming you'll be equally good with everybody and you have to lose a whole bunch before you get groups more in line with what you'd need to learn a brand new playstyle?

    That would be MMR, and it's currently in the works. When they implemented it, it was very, very bad, so they're trying to make it better.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/203842/killer-specific-matchmaking

    That would be MMR, and it's currently in the works. When they implemented it, it was very, very bad, so they're trying to make it better.

    Ah, so it's not actually a finished product yet. Well, that would certainly explain that. I guess I'll hold off on getting any more killers until the system's all worked out.

    Thanks for the reply!

  • @Adjatha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1731346#Comment_1731346

    Ah, so it's not actually a finished product yet. Well, that would certainly explain that. I guess I'll hold off on getting any more killers until the system's all worked out.

    Thanks for the reply!

    No problem!