New(ish) And Confused

I didn't get really into DBD until the anniversary update (most recent one). I was much better at playing Survivor, but could only get a few wins in where I wasn't dead by the end. Still, I had fun! However, my first attempt at a killer completely flopped. Hillbilly, Nurse, Huntress, Wraith, Trapper, didn't matter. I was terrible at all of them. Even guides couldn't save me.

Then, this supposed new rank system came out. I tried playing Survivor, and kept getting my butt handed to me. So much for that. So I decided to roll the dice again and leveled up my Huntress enough to have a stockpile of bloodpoints for the Hag. And besides a few upsets here and there, I've been nailing these trials.

So...what happened?

I know how the new system is SUPPOSED to work - it compares gameplay skill between players rather than the ranking system. Tbh, ######### the ranking system. Rank by hours of gameplay was just...awful, and has never paid off since Halo 2. (Which, debatable even then.) But normally, if a game switches to a skill-based system...shouldn't I be pitted against people at my difficulty? (Wouldn't I still suck as a killer?)

And the other thing I never saw explained was, how do they even measure "skill?" Everything is modified -- perks, cooldowns, terror radii, offerings, speed, hook placement, weapon mods, hell I can even change if the Survivors even see me or not. Anything that could be based on skill is reduced to Survivors camping on pallets (yall stop doing that. You know we can go around right...) or Killers facecamping (which I only learned was a thing after a last Survivor screamed at me for doing it). How is that skill?

I guess the timing when someone puts down a pallet or where a trap is laid matters, but that's very little to go off of.

Did they ever even explain how this system is checking for skill when there's so much in the game that can modify gameplay? Or am I completely oblivious to something?

Comments

  • They never told us how the new mmr system works, but as of now it looks like it doesn't work at all.

  • the new MMS is a failed feature and is bugged af since we have been playing with it for so many matches we could realise it

  • @AlwaysTired said:

    I didn't get really into DBD until the anniversary update (most recent one). I was much better at playing Survivor, but could only get a few wins in where I wasn't dead by the end. Still, I had fun! However, my first attempt at a killer completely flopped. Hillbilly, Nurse, Huntress, Wraith, Trapper, didn't matter. I was terrible at all of them. Even guides couldn't save me.

    Then, this supposed new rank system came out. I tried playing Survivor, and kept getting my butt handed to me. So much for that. So I decided to roll the dice again and leveled up my Huntress enough to have a stockpile of bloodpoints for the Hag. And besides a few upsets here and there, I've been nailing these trials.

    So...what happened?

    I know how the new system is SUPPOSED to work - it compares gameplay skill between players rather than the ranking system. Tbh, ######### the ranking system. Rank by hours of gameplay was just...awful, and has never paid off since Halo 2. (Which, debatable even then.) But normally, if a game switches to a skill-based system...shouldn't I be pitted against people at my difficulty? (Wouldn't I still suck as a killer?)

    And the other thing I never saw explained was, how do they even measure "skill?" Everything is modified -- perks, cooldowns, terror radii, offerings, speed, hook placement, weapon mods, hell I can even change if the Survivors even see me or not. Anything that could be based on skill is reduced to Survivors camping on pallets (yall stop doing that. You know we can go around right...) or Killers facecamping (which I only learned was a thing after a last Survivor screamed at me for doing it). How is that skill?

    I guess the timing when someone puts down a pallet or where a trap is laid matters, but that's very little to go off of.

    Did they ever even explain how this system is checking for skill when there's so much in the game that can modify gameplay? Or am I completely oblivious to something?

    a survivor's definition of facecamping differs from meat to meat, where one considers just keeping an eye out for the notification they were pulled off the hook face camping while another only does if you stand close enough to put two in the stink. Never consider a survivor's opinion to matter for anything while you are playing killers unless they're polite and not criticizing whatever means you used to beat them. If it beats them, it works, and they are only trying to discourage you from doing what beats them or bores them. That's their problem, not your problem. Throw the survivor rulebook out the window or wipe yourself with it's pages when you play killer.