Matchmaking Rankings
This is a post meant to point out the trend with MMR and suggest a possible cause.
The trend: As a player performs better in his/her matches, he/she is put against players who do worse (instead of better). The reverse is also true.
The cause: The matchmaking algorithm inverts the MMR scale (for either killers or survivors--one or the other) when matchmaking so that the opposite of what is intended is happening. Another possible cause is that one side loses MMR when doing well while the opposing side gains MMR when doing well. Both of these would explain the rank disparities in matches posted across the forums.
Here is a video that just has words appear for those people who don't want to read the small passage of text above.
TL;DR:
https://youtu.be/U-MzftAbps0Also, I completely support the statement about starting with a MMR estimate on each killer and all survivors (I don't agree with ScottJund), because my matches felt appropriate for my skill before the ranks I was facing plummeted from red into brown.
Comments
I mean it might for some, my matches got harder the more I won, and when I lost or got a draw or just had a very hard match they got easier to an extent. I know some are having terrible match making but its really not all. My biggest worry is that they just let the new people without ranking start without any mmr(which they said btw). And the system just placed them wherever the biggest queue time was (because it considered them filler players)....which was red ranks.
But I hope that rankings get sorted out with enough play time. This definitely hurt the game, considering it has taken its first big dip in months recently.
yes, the new player worry is REAL.
Maybe you've just been lucky with the MMR or maybe they've already done some back end stuff to fix it. I've seen improvement since I first noticed the trend I point out in the post, but I don't know if that's because of something inherent to my opponents or because devs corrected the MMR.
A mod mentioned that they had been in a meeting yesterday and she was basically informing us while the meeting was going on that they had registered errors or something like that. And following that made adjustments, so hopefully its only upwards from here. They did say that they were still looking to fix tune some things but hopefully the worst is over.
it does seem to be working significantly better from the matches I've played so far.