Is this a bug? (Illusionary Doctors)
I can't seem to find anyone else talking about this, but why can The Doctor sometimes see the auras of his Illusionary Doctors without using a "Restraint" addon?
Here's a clip that shows an example: https://youtu.be/wcFjDpjVu6Q?t=551
Am I missing something, or is this unintentional?
Comments
Is this just something everyone knows? lol
The way his power is worded doesn't say that. The "Restraint" addons are the only place that the aura of Illusionairy Doctors is mentioned, so I assume that's part of the addon.
The wording is the exact same as the "Order" addons that let The Doctor see Illusionairy Pallets:
"The Doctor shares in his patients' Madness to read the Auras of Illusionary Pallets."
vs
"The Doctor shares in his patients' Madness in order to read the Auras of Illusionary Doctors."
I think another instance of the same text but not same effects happens with surge.
Lullaby, overcharge, and surge all say they give additional regression, but surge doesn’t. Lullaby and overcharge give their extra regression on top of the 10% base regression, but surge only applies its regression without the base 10%.
hmm seems like a bug to me (coming from someone who used to play Doctor before the devs tore out his organs and dissolved them, leaving only a husk and an atrocious version of the killer I'd originally paid for).
The issue is that it says that surge applies “additional” regression, making you think that the 8% is being added to the normal 10% regression penalty when a gen explodes.
Instead the explosion from surge doesn’t do anything on its own other than tell you surge activated.
Wait, what? I think Doc is way better now, Removing the stances gave him so much more power at loops. Static Blast gives you tracking on demand rather than "Walking near survivors while in treatment makes them scream". He became a much more powerful killer overall.
I think the current version of doctor is much better than how he was when he first came out
Sure, but I give 0 ****s about what he's like at a loop. If that's all they touched, I would have been fine with it all. I care about everything else beside that, and that includes mega long range shocks to protect totems, passively building up madness, sneaking up on survivors with stealth builds while still being able to have all of the other benefits. Now, he's just a chase killer with an ability to induce a slowdown on survivors not in chase. The devs just removed any interesting aspect from the Madness effect and decided it would just be another band-aid to the time efficiency problems DbD faced. Now, that being said, even if the devs didn't do the best thing and just add onto the killer instead of removing aspects that some players liked, the real deal-sealer for me never touching Doc was the chase music change. I'm big on sound design, and this change along with Deathslinger's terror radius and chase music was horrendous. One person that I've talked to about it said that it's like the music was created for some atmospheric movie where the shots are in slow motion and there's some lethargy about the whole thing: the exact opposite of DbD chases, so the music doesn't fit with the game, and it bothers me that none of the sound design team thought about the pacing, beat pattern, and repetition enough to realize that it was a significant downgrade from the chase music the Doctor used before.
As a survivor, micromanaging my Madness was something I found fun. I'd gone whole games keeping myself out of chase and out of Madness I, and while it didn't make me the best, most efficient survivor, it was fun for me, and those small goals gave me a broader sense of fulfillment and victory even when I died in the end. I somewhat miss going against the old Doctors (seeing as they are a rare breed in my neighborhood), but I will enter the third hook state ASAP in any game that has a Doctor now, in large part to end the badly designed music.
Doctor is now just a boring killer with the ability to forcibly and un-interactively cut off survivor loops and stall for time outside of chase. I hate those kinds of killers, and to make him fully one of those when players used to be able to do more with him than just that is a sign that the developers don't really care about all killers having fun. I think I started realizing this from Matthew Cote's comment about Civ VI, but the Nurse changes, the Billy changes, and finally writing this post has made me realize how true that is.
when he first came out is completely different story. I'm talking about how he was until recently.