Fun Perks Pt. 1: Breakdown

What's this, you ask? This isn't an Underrated Perks post! That is correct. I wanted to dedicate a new series of posts to perks where I think to myself, "Yeah, I get why people don't really use this perk, but it's such a fun perk it doesn't really matter how underwhelming it is." Don't expect many posts like this though, there's maybe a couple perks that I would truly categorize this way. Still, I felt the need to dedicate something to them.

If you've read my Underrated Perks posts, you probably know that I really like Jeff's teachable perks. Aftercare potentially gives you aura reading on all of your teammates no matter where they are on the map. Distortion hides your aura from the killer, giving you information on what aura reading perk they're using and allowing you to make sneaky plays you wouldn't otherwise be able to make, like ignoring BBQ and Chili. I've always championed these perks as my go-to underrated perks, slotting them into my perk builds whenever I feel they would shine. But I've ignored the last perk of the set for a while, Breakdown.

Look, I get it. I know why people don't run this perk in serious builds. It only works after you been hooked, which is not a position you want to be in very often. Also, by extension, it only works twice, on your first and second hook. So why am I making this post? Because...it's a fun perk to use!

I'll briefly go over the perks benefits. It breaks the hook that you were hooked on for 180 seconds, or 3 minutes. That's a pretty long time for a hook to be broken, considering it's part of the killer's objective. The other nice thing about the perk, which I actually think is just as good, is the fact that it shows you where the killer is for 6 seconds. Whether the killer is off chasing someone else, or is running back to the hook, you immediately know where NOT to run, which can save you from being immediately hooked again.

When all of these things are considered, it's clear that the perks main use is to ensure that the killer cannot use the same hook you were just on, and whether they manage to down you or the person that rescued you, they now have to spend time looking for another hook to use, because that previous hook isn't coming back for a while. The real reason I started to use this perk however is for its surprise factor. Both killers and survivors never expect you to use this perk, and it puts a smile on my face to see survivors happily heal me under the now broken hook, or see killers panic and leave me slugged on the ground near the hook while they chase after the rescuer, leaving someone else to come pick me back up.

Just so I have something else to say other than, "OMG this perk is so fun, everyone should make this a meta perk", I'll leave something constructive. A suggestion to buff this perk and make it more appealing to use, because we all know how stale the meta is right now, and making underutilized perks better is a healthy way of doing that. So here's my suggested change:

"When unhooking a Survivor, being unhooked, or unhooking yourself, the Hook breaks and the Killer's aura is shown to you for 4/5/6 seconds. A Hook broken by Breakdown takes 180 seconds to respawn."

The change made here is that the perk will also break the hook if you rescue a survivor from it, giving it utility as an Altruistic perk. If it turns out to be a little too strong like that, the hook respawn time could be reduced to 120 seconds or something to that effect.

So that's it. What does everyone think?

Comments