Saying something is Boring is just an excuse

Now, I am aware this thread will be heavily criticized, and the usual people who uses the word will take the most offense to it, but I feel the need to address this as it has gotten to the point where people are beginning to outright dismiss each other purely simply due to the fact that they find certain killers and perks to be fun against while others do not.

But of course, I have some bias here. Which I would like to address first. I'm a Spirit Main and my brother is a Freddy Main. Previously I was also a Doctor main and I also play Pig and Huntress. I play to win, I play to be as optimally as possible, and because of that, I play as "boring" as possible to secure kills and sacrifices. I do the same whenver I play Survivor, and I use the most optimal build and tactics for that side as well.

Right then, looks like we have a new topic of the month fellas! And oh boy, is it spicy! I'm seeing a lot less posts about nerfing Perks or Killers because they are "Overpowered" now, oh no, I'm now seeing them say that those certain killers and perks are now "boring" to go up against.

Why is that I wonder? Hmm, is it because of the "ever-changing meta"? Nooo! It can't be! But maybe...?

Right, let me just be straight immediately here. I don't care if you find certain things about DBD boring, I mean half of Survivor is holding M1 on a generator while the other half is being stuck on a hook because you lost a chase, I get it, it can get pretty dull. There's a reason some people prefer playing Killer despite how more stressful it can possibly get.

BUT! Regardless on whether or not that is the case, you cannot just ask for changes just because you personally find that something to be boring to you or others. Asking for nerfs to something you find boring is downright unreasonable, because you're literally asking for something to be changed to be unusable and unplayable so you don't have to see that thing be played against you over and over. That isn't exactly fair to people who like playing as and with those things though, is it?

Can there be changes made to them to make them better? There can be, but those changes needs to never compromise their usage. Because otherwise, something else will replace their place, and the cycle repeats itself. That's why you cannot just nerf perks that are meta or killers that are meta. Purely because something else will always replace it. People will always find new perk combos, new killers, and new add-on combos that has a more "boring" playstyle because they play to win.

If something is boring, to me that is just an excuse. But, I don't fault people for thinking that because as everyone has always said, the meta is stale. You'll always face the same Killers, the same Perks, the same Survivor cosmetics even. Because anything to give you an advantage is a welcome one. And facing the same things over and over again can make you overly critical about it, it can turn into an obsessive mindset where you try to find any flaw in the system and repeat that over and over again because you got so bored facing that one thing, that you think other players who play as that thing or other players who like playing against that thing "Are just wrong! There's no way they could be correct, I know I'm right because my experiences said so! How can anyone have fun playing as and against this thing?" Isn't that right, fellas?

To me, the best thing to do is to make non-meta perks have more usage. This way, if there is more of a variety on meta perks, more Killers might find better and viable strategies on other killers, making them more fun to play for more people. Giving you more variety to face and play as on both sides. There are some perks that has a great effect, but they are too situational and sometimes you might not even get any use out of it (cough Deliverance cough).

If you have a problem with a killer, or a perk, or the way a Survivor plays, maybe take some time to self reflect on your own performance first. Because the only reason something is boring is when you got nothing to do. And when you feel like you can't do anything. But have you ever taken a step back and realize what got you to that point in the first place? I personally doubt it if you're giving someone crap for saying they have fun for playing against something you personally don't have fun against.

Fun is subjective, and it should never be the reason something gets changed. Unless of course, there is an objective balance reason behind it, then I'm all for it. But without that, but I'm sorry, but saying something is boring is just another excuse.

You're not going to win every game, and not every match will be fun. But suck it up, this is an online game, not everyone will give you the time of your life with every match.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Yeah, in most cases, anyways. But there's some cases like the old Legion that were actually unfun.

1 2 ›