If they do it often, it isn't a mistake; it's just their behavior.(no pun intended)

I have been a daily player of Dead By Daylight for almost 3 years. I have over 5,000 hours played which translates to almost 10,000 matches. In that time I have received close to 5,000 hostile, threatening, racist, violent, cruel, cocky, and demeaning messages from other players in this game. Most of the reasons for those messages were petty, insensitive, selfish, and just downright unnecessary. There are a few things about this that make me wonder what is wrong with this community and people in general? Maybe it's me, because I'm almost 40 years old and I grew up in a time before the internet, cell phones, social media, and electronic communication. Or maybe it's because I grew up in a neighborhood that jumped and chased me, located in a city that has had a sacred and unbreakable code of silence that dates back to before the signing of The Declaration Of Independence. I’m not entirely sure. Whatever it is, I feel like certain values have been lost in the transition to the new millennium. I remember a time when if you had something to say to someone(regardless if it was nice or not) you had to say it to them in person and were forced to deal with any repercussions in a face-to-face manner. Now, in order to keep the content of this piece family friendly I won't go into detail about things that happened to a person back then for blatant acts of disrespect, but I'm sure you all get the point. I feel like people in this generation have grown extremely comfortable with being hostile, rude, and disrespectful from afar via electronic devices, and it shows. 


Now here is something for people to think about, when you send any type of negative message to another online gamer you have no idea who that person is nor do you know anything about them. That person could easily be an unmannered, disrespectful, arrogant, and ignorant player like yourself who will entertain and feed into and the message by exchanging blows back and fourth with you. Or they could be a child, a parent, casual or part time gamer, or someone who's maturity and morals are of a higher standard which causes them to ignore it and move on. Then there are people that make sending these types of messages a far worse act than you think without realizing it. There are people who suffer from any number of life circumstances so horrific that it causes them to wake up every day to a nightmare normal people can't even imagine. Things like mental health issues, family and other domestic situations, economical problems, any of a wide range of disabilities, whatever else can make a person feel afraid of the reality that their life is. Sometimes the messages we send can have a detrimental effect on the people we send them to and we don't even know it.


I feel like this community needs to step back, take a long look in the mirror, and think about the way we treat each other. Not everyone is guilty of this by any means, but less than 10 percent of games played(at least in my experience) is a message like this NOT sent to someone post game. Iv have never seen this from any other game in my 15 years of online gaming. I realize that this is an extremely competitive game combined with unreliable or seemingly broken functions such as optimization issues and poor matchmaking makes for a very rollercoaster experience that often times causes extreme tension, but that is absolutely NO excuse for the messages people send or the way we treat each other as a whole. We are all gamers, a community of people who share a common interest or bond that brings us together in the name of fun, excitement, friendship, competition, cooperation and sportsmanship. The idea that we could treat each other so negatively makes me fear for all of us. Maybe I'm old school or maybe I just have a higher standard in what i expect from people? Either way I feel like we are in dire need of a change, for which the weight of falls upon all of our shoulders. I know I’m not the only one who sees it, but has anyone else felt this?

Comments

  • I played Dota 2 over 3k hours, so I know what toxicity is. But DbD put that stuff on another level.


    As long as toxicity is praised you can't do much against it. I have 0 problems with a little banter during the game or in the endgamechat but slurs and deathwishes are not excuseable.

    Some people even excuse their behaviour. I asked one of those toxic people if he is like that in real life. His answer was, that it wasn't my concern how he is in reallife and he can treat people like he wants to online. I was baffled by this answer.

    Closing the endgamechat and disabling comments on my profile was the best way to give those kind of people 0 room for their poison. Sadly you can't report, what you can't see.

    So I'm a bit between both sides. On the one side I want to report those kind of players, hoping they get a long timeout. One the other hand im just tired of getting insulted for whatever reason.

    Getting mad because you lost a game is totally understandable and sometimes you just write stuff to vent a bit. But there is always a line which shouldn't be crossed.

  • @a_good_player said:

    Ok boomer

    I'll bet one of my major organs that you send messages like the ones described above after every match.

  • A good match for me is nothing being called the N word, monkey, or an F word or told me and my kind need to be eradicated from the server because I have an unfair advantage and BHVR won't do anything about it because they're afraid to put N words in their place at the end of the match for playing Claudette. I'm not even joking. I'm putting together a huge folder of almost every post game lobby. Even if I get tunneled out the game I expect it because I'm Claudette as long as they don't say ######### at the end of game I'm fine with the outcome.

    (Yes I report these people)