Differentiating Disconnects via internet drop vs intentional?

So I understand that there is very little that can be done to differentiate disconnects by internet drop and intentional disconnections. I was in the middle of a match when the internet died just for a few seconds; long enough to kill my connection, but I still lost a pip and got hit with a matchmaking timer. I understand the timer but especially now when internet connections can be heavily loaded on the American side with these lockdowns keeping people at home has there been any development in making it so the match doesn't count as intentional? It can be frustrating to lose pips and there's sometimes no way to avoid it if there's a blink. It so rarely happens during a game, a lot of times the game itself will crash during a load. A lot of it is circumstantial and if this happens frequently I would understand the punishment but this is the first time it has happened on my account and I had to take the timer. It's very disheartening

Comments

  • I agree that the first time should be a warning. Then making the timers substantially longer would be justified.

  • A few minutes timeout practically is a warning. It's only with 4-5+ DC's in a day or so you actually get penalized. I almost never get a random DC ingame, it's usually during the loading screen I get crashes.

    It's also pretty easy to distinguish between a ragequit and a legit DC for the remaining players. Did the person who left just get dunked, or just randomly DC at 5 gens left?