Idea dump to be (possibly) made fun of.

Hello, People of the fog! It is I, DIO Toxic, just a random dude on the forums looking to get an idea out into here.


Now, it’s usually minuscule things. But maybe even near game-breaking. Who knows. That’s why I’m posting it here to see if it may possibly work.


One is a Perk mechanic change, the other, well, we’ll get to that.


*Part 1: Perks*


I know what you’re thinking by this title: “What ABOUT the perks?” Well, there are plenty (or few) combos that give you an extreme advantage in something. The most issue-based are usually builds that make it harder to catch you, and ones that make it harder to hook you. I feel I know exactly how to reduce their power, while at the same time, make it easier for the killer to identify what survivor has what based on the survivor being played, not just by observation. Don’t worry, this will also apply to killers who get massive bonuses for using different perks. This is just a thought and idea, I’m not saying to implement it directly as is, I’m simply giving you the idea of it existing.


So, what I feel must be changed aren’t the perks themselves, but how TEACHABLE perks work.


*Perks put onto other survivors are weaker than normal*


Let me explain this in more simple terms: You’re a Laurie who has just unlocked the teachable for DS. You can equip it onto her while using the full power of DS, OR, you can place it onto other survivors, but WEAKER.


This makes it so you have the option of using a weaker perk to combo with another, something is better than nothing, or you can use the full power of the perk on the original owner.


Now, before you start complaining like little [Cusses], hear me out.


First: This opens up the devs to make them buff Survivor / Killer perks since they will be STRONGER on the original owners, but WEAKER on others. 


Second: This helps Survivors and Killers identify each-others’ perks. Since you are prompted to play a character using stronger perks to gain the full benefits of it.

Third: This doesn’t massively change the meta, it simply tones down the already powerful Meta. (I hope, at least.)


*Part 2: Survivor Roles*


Now, my second idea is a little more simple, but it definitely helps to know what kind of character you’re trying to create.


We’re talking “Roles”. Now, yes, there’s always the quick run-down of what perks a survivor has and what they’re good at, but 90% of the time, they seem to get it wrong.


So, it’d be much, MUCH more effective where if you could slap something onto the top-right corner of Survivor character selection pics.


Sort them out like this:


Survivors


Hider: Perks revolve around being hidden from the killer.

Jock: Perks revolve around confronting and running from the killer.

Support: Perks revolve around helping the overall survivability of the team.

Fixer: Perks revolve around quicker generator repair, or assisting in keeping yourself hidden while doing so.


Change it if you want, either way, it makes it easier for new survivors to identify what kind of character they want, and what they do.


Okey, these were my thoughts. Feel free to make educated breakdowns as to “why this is a bad idea” or whatnot. Just don’t rage like a wee little baby killer and/or survivor, make a point of your argument, or don’t make a fool of yourself.

Comments

  • So Part 1:

    There's nothing saying this change would make the devs buff anything. Especially something like the example of DS - I don't think the devs would dare buff that perk for the original owner, which means current meta perks would like stay where they are and the 'weaker' version would just be weaker than they are now. That doesn't interest me at all ~*~imagines a 20 minute self-care cast~*~

    Additionally, I have never really had a hard time determining what perks a killer is running - including perks like NOED that, other than process of elimination, you really don't have any concrete idea of until you either get insta-downed...or don't. I don't have any desire to nerf my ability to select from a variety of perks at their currently full strength, especially as a solo. I also don't need any indication about what a killer is running, that's easy to determine through game play. Knowing what perks a player is running seems to primarily be a killer desire, so, hard pass.

    Part 2:

    Without Part 1 this doesn't really make much sense.


    I like the idea of a DBD-esque game where you have more classes of survivors with different baseline strengths...but that seems like it's stealing a page out of the Last Year book. I don't see how this would work in this existing game without a significant and expensive overhaul, much testing, and a lot of annoying matches along the way.

  • I think basing "roles" would be better suited to match what is currently available i.e:

    Survivor: Survivalist (perks centered around surviving the match), Objectivist (perks centered around locating and repairing Gens), Boldness (perks centered around locating the killer and totems), and Altruism (perks centered around locating saves and healing other survivors)... and of course you'd have the Generalist (perks that provide utility and/or flexibility in a match)

  • I think one of the awesome things with DBD is being able to change your role on the switch of a hat. That's why the predisposed roles that are available would feel off-putting and sorta borrowing it from other games