A Returning Killer's Thoughts For The Devs (plz read)
A little bit after the ruin nerf I needed a break. Like a serious long term break. I have played the random match here or there but I went from playing daily/every other day to maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks. I was burnt out and frankly the amount of stress that was being put on me as a killer would make me physically ill. I just couldn't have fun anymore. So I took a break. In that time I have done really awesome things like 100% Doom Eternal, learned how to speedrun RE2 Remake, am currently learning how to speed run RE3 competitively (seriously my PB is only a few minutes off the fastest time I've seen floating around YouTube,) Learned how to play Halo Wars 2 and have been using that as my main source of competitive multiplayer. It's insane the amount of cool things that I've been able to do without the stress of DBD weighing me down.
With all that said, I'm excited to come back and I want to talk about why. I was very angry with the devs when Ruin Nerf was announced, I felt like I had the rug pulled out from me and after the perk went live games became much more demanding and the stress and anxiety began to creep in. I played a bit when Deathslinger came out but he just isn't that good. Fun but not that good. I genuinely thought DBD would just be another one of those games that faded from my library. Thankfully the map changes have come and I can honestly say that for the first time since the stranger things update I am genuinely excited and also having fun again without the stress making me not want to play. The Ruin Nerf now makes sense. I can't remember who but I think either @Peanits or @not_Queen stated on the forums during the doctor rework that content they were working on was being worked on as far as 6 months back from when it released. This makes a whole lot more sense in context of the Ruin nerf and now less than 3 months later the map changes and gen repair nerf. So bravo BHVR you aren't as insane as I thought.
This brings me to another issue though that I think maybe in the future BHVR could do better at. There needs to be some transparency when a game changing nerf hits one side specifically. Now I'm not saying pull the curtains back and let us see the bones all the time but maybe letting us peak behind the curtains a bit when it comes to changes that wont have their counterbalance till later down the line. I think a good example of this was when @Peanits dropped that picture of the iron mill change a few days before the announcement. I know that transparency is scary, there have been so many developers across the industry in recent years who question the need for transparency when all they do is get harrassed for being honest and transparent (No Mans Sky dev team, Peter Molyneux, That Jason Scheirer article about the former Bioware developer, The guildwars 2 writer who lost her job cause of the nasty things she said on twitter to fans after a mental breakdown, ect.) Transparency doesn't have the greatest track record but it is needed. I don't think you would have gotten nearly as much grief if alongside the ruin update you announced that Maps were on the chopping block and would be done soon. You don't have to give us a timestamp but let us know that the other side of things was also being worked on, not just looked at.
That's my piece, it's long but lets be honest you really don't have better things to do with this whole quarantine in effect. Everyone stay safe and inside.
Comments