Give survivors more unique in-game animations

(I realize this has been brought up before in the past but I'm reviving it again because I want it, sue me.)

Right now survivors are basically skins, and that's fine for the most part, but it doesn't really do justice to each person character-wise. BHVR currently seems to be on this trend with the tomes where they are introducing more backstory and expanding each survivor's personality. On top of that, I think it would be great if each one could be a little bit more unique and express a little bit more of their character through unique animations. Part of the charm of playing as different characters in video games is trying to figure out who they are as a person based on how that character does something as simple as walking. You can see this in a lot of other multiplayer games with a lot of different characters, the strongest of which imo is arguably TF2; 90% of that game's charm comes from the characters, and look at how long it's lasted.

I would argue that doing something similar in Dead by Daylight would help the game long-term, and make the survivor characters more personable and likeable.

Accomplishing this in DBD could be as simple as adding a unique 3rd emote for each character. (i.g. Ace shoots his finger guns, David punches his palm, Meg jogs in place, Feng throws a peace sign etc.)

Even better, we could even just customize each characters simple in-game animations (i.g. The way they run, walk, fix generators, or even idle in place). Just simple adjustments to the way a survivor does something can make all the difference.

As a bonus I think adding additional generic emotes would be great, especially ones we can use to communicate with the killer (i.g. OH GOD OH f**K WaIT pLEaSE DON'T kILL ME HOLyShIT hOLy F*xuCk DOnT DO IT.)

You know, fun stuff like that.


I know a lot of first reactions to this will either be "this is a lot of work for something so small" or "this will just be used to taunt the killer." But I disagree.

BHVR already puts a ton of work into designing new characters, granted, but I think it's a serious injustice to not go the extra mile to add just slightly different animations to survivor characters when they already do that for killers.

As for taunting killers (which already happens, so I think the point is moot anyway, but I digress), I think the exact opposite could be said per my unique proposed animation (4. Beg haha). I also think your intentions could also be construed based on what character you pick. If you want to appear arrogant, pick a character that carries themselves that way. If you want to appear chill or avoidant, pick them. If you want to appear protective, pick them.

The whole point of this is diversity, and having the option to choose who you want to be. Unique in-game animations for survivor characters would just be the cherry on top that could even add to the game's longevity.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Comments

  • I really like this idea. Would add a whole bunch more charm to the characters. Wouldn't be hurting anything and I think it would be really nice to mess around with the other survivors. But seriously BHVR, finger guns when?

  • @Spooky13 said:

    I really like this idea. Would add a whole bunch more charm to the characters. Wouldn't be hurting anything and I think it would be really nice to mess around with the other survivors. But seriously BHVR, finger guns when?

    I know right, it's been 3 years, and I still haven't fukin given up on finger guns

  • I really hope they end up adding something like this to the game. A lot of survivors don't really seem to match their movement animations, particularly David and Meg.

  • @Exerlin said:

    I really hope they end up adding something like this to the game. A lot of survivors don't really seem to match their movement animations, particularly David and Meg.

    Yeah this is another great example of why we need unique animations. Aside from the fact that it's character telling storytelling tool, it can also be a technical issue to try to give every character model the same animations. Sometimes it just breaks the model or doesn't work as intended or just looks bad. (Like Ace's arm flipping upside down when opening an exit gate lol)

  • I also wish perks had more animations. What if your vault animation was different with lithe and the fall animation was different with balanced landing? I just want more variety in the way gameplay looks.

  • I like this too. Adding story possibilities due to the way people interact with others... that could add some kind of Tales of the Fog possibilities. Like say, A certain killer recognizes/hates a particular survivor, so they will act differently.


    I suggested something like this with mori animations: Having different ones for each survivor would be nice...