Review of the new killer so far.
I wish to state this is my personal opinion on The Deathslinger. It is based from watching various streamers play it, as well as my own experience playing on a friend's PC. I am a rank6 killer/rank10 survivor and typically play on Xbox, so please bare that in mind.
Onto the actual review, and while I know he hasn't been out long, I feel it's been more than enough time for people to test him out and get a general feel for how he plays and so far... He's disappointing.
First off, his power. It reminds me of Huntress, except it's harder to dodge his "hatchet." However, he only has one and if he misses, the chase can be dragged out for a lot longer. I understand, his ability to pull a survivor to him can be helpful in some scenarios, but you get the same, if not a better effect with the Huntress as well. Either damaging a survivor on a ledge or at a pallet. Having a small Terror Radius does help a little, but with how cluttered maps are and with it's limited range and small hitbox, it's not that great.
Onto the core things a killer needs. Starting with map pressure. Being 110% with no way to traverse quicker, combined with a power that for some reason has quite limited range, means he has no map pressure in any capacity. A gen can be done before you even get to the other side of the map. This can be bandaged to some extent by using corrupt intervention like pretty much every low map pressure killer uses though.
Next it'll be Detection. In terms if being able to find a survivor.. His small terror radius is the main reason that he's any good here. With the right perks like M&A, finding survivors out in the open or surprising them will be pretty easy to do. Other than that though, just like any other killer.
Onto where I feel he's been best for me. The Chase. Here, I'll encompass his ability to both injure as well as down since being able to get a first hit before the chase actually begins is just as important to me, if not moreso. In regards to this, his power was surprisingly effective. Being able to make windows and unsafe pallets deadly to a survivor is decently strong and thanks to it not being a beachball, the hitbox does actually help when it comes to hitting a survivor trying to hide at an unsafe pallet. Once again though, I feel the need to compare him to the Huntress who can do the same thing, but apply status effects, can down with the projectile itself, and also has five chances to hit without needing to slow down. One thing to note that the Huntress struggles with, were the balconys(?) on Haddonfield. When combined with his low TR, they were actually unsafe. Being pulled off of one without knowing he was there was quite a surprise to be sure. There are several bas things though, his 110% movement speed made looping quite easy, as most have sharp turns than don't allow him to shoot, leaving him a slower, basic attack killer. If he did shoot, and missed, then he was either forced to reload, which gave time to move to the next loop, or try to attack normally. Even with his power and a direct hit though, a safe pallet it still just that in regards to him, completely safe.
All in all, I'd give him a 4/10. A weaker huntress in terms of map pressure and strength in chases. His low terror radius is all he really has going for him. As he stands right now, I'd suggest playing Huntress or even Plague instead.
Comments