Why treat ruin changes as a bad thing?

I was stuck at purples ranks for months and after the ruin changes went through I've been rank 1. I had a 3 month break and came back just as ruin got changed and I see it only as a positive improvement to keep bad killers in low ranks and good ones it high ranks. And on top of that they even said this is just the first step to fixing gen speeds. Now whether they should have led with that in the dev blog is a different story but overall these changes were necessary and good for the game.

Comments

  • While I agree ruin definitely needed a change at some point, this wasn't the way to go with it because all the other variables like map size, tile generation etc make the ruin change a lot more painful than it should have been. It was a bandaid fix to most of the problems that barely worked in the first place and now it's gone, exacerbating all of the other problems ruin sort of tried to cover up. People are sort of overreacting though because killers can still do fine, it's just a lot of the killers now have literally no time to spare and one mistake costs them the game.

  • The Ruin change itself isn't all that bad. It's when and why it was implemented. Ruin was used, for the most part, due to have fast matches go without it. That early game slowdown gave slow killers some breathing room. To remove it, without adjusting toolboxes and map sizes, was pretty crippling. One bad chase and the games over.

    As for the why, well, 'new and inexperienced survivors' found it frustrating, because apparently they couldn't hit skill checks. If the devs had simply said from the onset that they're looking at match speeds, and Ruin inhibited that, that would be okay. But to phrase the patch notes when the Ruin change was first spoken of as 'new/inexperienced frustration' and '80% red rank killer games,' it left a very sour taste in ones mouth.

    Personally, I didn't run Ruin because I enjoyed it. Most of the time, I was just running three perks. But I ran it to give me an extra 30 seconds - 2 minutes, in order to get the ball rolling. Now, I have to play dirty, at least by the survivors handbook, in order to get things done.

  • The idea that a giant step backwards was the first step to fix gen speeds is a horrifying concept. The Ruin changes didn't have anything to do with intentional gen speed changes. It was to make the game easier for newer players since making the game newer for easier players is more important than balance. The issues of genrushing and tunneling problems should have been tackled the same time as the Ruin changes if the nerf was to be implemented correctly.