Thoughts on Recent Changes
Let's get the big one out of the way...Ruin of course.
As a killer main I do feel like this is a nerf. However I DO NOT think it's a bad idea to nerf it. Ruin became a staple that almost all killers ran. Regardless if some people think it was a cruch, or theirs got destroyed in 5 seconds into most games, or if they're a frustrated survivor that can't deal with it, it still was used in most games. Anything that's used in almost all games needs to be changed to allow growth and more diverse builds. As a killer, I am happy they changed ruin. However, I'm not happy about how they changed it. Not the idea, it's a great concept, regressing generators without having to kick them. BUT, it doesn't really have any synergy with almost any other perks outside of surveillance. It's a perk that's just kinda... There now. That mixed with the fact that it's still a hex perk makes it pretty much useless now. I'm all for nerfing overpowered items in games, but I don't agree with running it into the ground completely in order to appease only half your player base. The whole reason everyone ran ruin was because of the absurd gen times. 80 seconds isn't bad for a lone survivor with no perks or addons. But the issue starts coming in when you have more than one survivor working on a gen. 4 survivors it takes 33 seconds. Which doesn't sound too bad into you realize that on larger maps, which there are quite a few of them, it takes 46 seconds to move from one end to the other with a base speed killer. So you could spawn on opposite ends and have a gen or two done before you ever reach the survivors if they're running perks or add-ons, which most survivors do. That doesn't even take into account the killers that have slower speeds. This is why killers ran ruin, to reduce the likelihood of that happening.
Then you take away ruin but don't change the reason people used ruin, which was to slow the gen speed. At regular ranks its not too bad. Where people are going to see issues with this the most are the purple and red ranks. You're gonna have SWF groups that can just gen rush with nothing to slow them down except maybe corrupt intervention. Gen rushing was already a thing, hence why everyone used ruin. Then you take away the ruin, without fixing the other issue and it tips the balance. You've already started seeing it, but I think you're gonna see more and more killers running CI and NOED. More so NOED because the game is gonna be very late game heavy now. I personally don't use ruin a lot, I prefer overcharge and pop, but I can see where people are upset. You fix one issue without fixing the other. I think if they had adjusted the time it takes to fix gens, not a lot just slightly and mainly just when multiple people are working on one, at the same time as ruin being changed, there'd be a lot less outrage in the community. If you think about it, 3 survivors running toolboxes all working the same generator, it's like a 24 second generator. Less than half a minute into a match and a gen is already done, before you've ever gotten close to them. As a killer yeah that sucks. So killers are gonna adapt with CI and NOED in order to give them a better chance at getting more than just one survivor every game. But honestly my biggest compliant is that if you are running ruin now, you can't really run anything but CI and surveillance with it. I don't really see anyone really ruining ruin anymore at all, unless you make it a non Hex perk, and give it a little more synergy with other perks. That's the fix for it, many people have said it, just do it.
Now off the ruin topic, cause that's definitely a dead horse. On my thoughts of the Doctor, as he was my main, I like the concept behind the doctor changes. The only thing I'd fix and I hear they're talking about fixing it anyways, is the time between your shock and being able to hit. 3 seconds is wayyy too long, and I can switch stances faster. If they change that to maybe 1.5 seconds, and keep his ability to combat looping , I'll continue to play him. If not, I'll probably never play him. If I do it'll be as an M1 killer with occasional shock blasts lol.
The the changes to his music and his map, I love it. I feel like all the killers need their own special chase music, along with updates to most maps. Darker and more intense, gives it a better atmosphere for a psuedo horror game. I love the changes to Learys and would be overjoyed if they made all maps like that.
Overall though, I don't think these changes should be made right now. I felt like there are more pressing issues in the game that should've been updated before making content changes and balancing updates.
1. Obviously the ranking system needs to be overhauled and fixed, not just hid. This is an issue that everyone knows about including the devs, that I think should've been addressed first. As it stands, with the way the game is going, I have no interest in getting back to red ranks after this rank reset. I don't get anything from it really except maybe frustration and longer queue times. It's the same as everyone's issue. Simply implement a normal mode and a ranked mode. And then fix your ranks. That way those who are only interested in having fun can play normal, but those who actually care about ranks can play ranked and get specific rewards for the rankings they get, with the rewards getting better as your ranking increases. Mainly just cosmetics, but it's something that people would actually WANT to play ranked for. That's what I feel can really being this game back.
2. Fix issues with Collison, sounds, and hit boxes. These issues have been around FOREVER!!!! Yet we continue to get content updates, when really all we really want is for you to fix your game! I'd be happy to not see a new killer released, or a map updated, or balance fixes, FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR, if you'd just fix the existing issues in the game. Everyone is saying it, the people have spoken, just... Do it. It really shows their experience and priorities as devs, which is disappointing. I think as a community we're disappointed, not in the game itself, we love the game. We're disappointed because we know it could be so much better than its current state.
Anyways that's my thoughts on the recent changes, but would love to hear other people's opinions on the matter.
Comments
Ranking system is dead and buried by this point tbh.
I don't feel like it has to be though. And it wouldn't be crazy difficult to fix either.