So How Quickly Does "The Server Disconnect"?

I'm talking about the message that appears in the tally-screen chat, making you unable to talk more.

PC btw.

What i noticed this match is that the chat closed to what my brain registered as ~7 seconds.

I got in the tally screen, went to the last page immediately, opened the chat (wanted to ask a question), but after writing ~1/4th of the question, it already disconnected.

This was not like anything i've seen before so far.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • I don't think its a timelimit. I think it disconnects when 4 out of 5 players leave the match. Where the chat function would be pointless (unless you enjoy talking to yourself, of course).

  • @ABannedCat said:

    I don't think its a timelimit. I think it disconnects when 4 out of 5 players leave the match. Where the chat function would be pointless (unless you enjoy talking to yourself, of course).

    Aaahhhhhh, very good thought!

    I'll take that as my thought as well unless, y'know, a developer tells me what it is. 🤭

  • @ABannedCat said:

    I don't think its a timelimit. I think it disconnects when 4 out of 5 players leave the match. Where the chat function would be pointless (unless you enjoy talking to yourself, of course).

    I used to think that was the case, but several times I've had it disconnect in the middle of a conversation, at times when it would have been very odd for the other person to have just left before finishing what they were saying. So I suspect it might have multiple conditions - either when a time limit is reached, or when 4 out of 5 players disconnect, whichever comes first.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/987164#Comment_987164

    I used to think that was the case, but several times I've had it disconnect in the middle of a conversation, at times when it would have been very odd for the other person to have just left before finishing what they were saying. So I suspect it might have multiple conditions - either when a time limit is reached, or when 4 out of 5 players disconnect, whichever comes first.

    Also a good thought, they probably don't want you to forever occupy a spot with a finished match.

  • @Boss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/987327#Comment_987327

    Also a good thought, they probably don't want you to forever occupy a spot with a finished match.

    That's what I would imagine. If two people go AFK at the end of a match and don't quit, that's extra load being placed unnecessarily on the servers. It makes sense to automatically disconnect people a certain amount of time after their game ends.

  • @Boss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/987327#Comment_987327

    Also a good thought, they probably don't want you to forever occupy a spot with a finished match.

    I mean, it's either the "nobody else is in the lobby" theory because of Dedicated Servers, which before this wasn't a thing. For context, DS's works off of a lobby finding a lobby now, rather than the Killer making a lobby and the Survivors finding said lobby, so, the theory is that the lobby you all occupy only stays up until either the match times out on a set time that's random, or when nobody else is in the lobby except the Survivors or just the Killer.

    But, some like Fibijean has said that they've had mid-conversations cut because of this, and I have as well.

    So the theories will go in this order/random order:

    • 1 Survivor and 1 Killer needs to be in the lobby to still chat, if either one leaves, than the chat closes automatically.
    • There's a set time that each chat window has at random, depending on what factors that shortens or lengthens this time is currently unknown.
    • Dedicated Servers brought this function in when it was implemented in tests, etc, so the system works off of a set time that the DS's sets for each chat window

    This is about as far as the "theories" go, whatever dictates a chat window to stay up or not is kind of random and unknown, until you either ask a dev or if they can even tell you.