My thoughts on the new patch

New Killer: Seems decent. Not terrible, but not insanely overpowered. His power seems to be a cross between Michael Myers and Hillbilly, with an added tracking benefit.

Being able to see blood trails so clearly makes it much easier for him to find injured survivors, even if they have Iron Will. He'll obviously synergize very well with Sloppy Butcher and other mechanics that afflict survivors with Hemorrhage.

His main ability, Blood Fury, seems pretty strong. Similar to Michael Myers, it's really powerful but balanced by the time you need to spend collecting resources to fuel it. Your M1 turns into an instadown attack which is obviously really powerful, and you have a powerful dash ability to traverse the map quickly. Similar to Hillbilly's chainsaw, but easier to control. You also don't get staggered if you bump into things during the dash.

His power kinda puts the survivors into a "Catch-22" position: If they stay injured, it becomes very easy for the killer to find them and down them with his normal M1 attack, and it allows the killer to farm blood from you. But if you heal and he pops Blood Fury, then the insta-down punishes you for taking the time to heal yourself. Overall, I think there's a lot of room for counterplay and decision-making when you're playing against the Oni. I like it.

In terms of his overall power level, I think he's roughly at the same level as Michael Myers, maybe slightly stronger. Oni has more mobility, tracking abilities and map pressure than Myers, but Myers has a much easier time sneaking up on survivors and getting first hits due to his smaller Terror Radius and relatively inconspicuous profile.

And finally, his perks: Nemesis seems like a fun perk to use against survivors that like to bully the killer. Blood Echo seems like a mid-tier snowballing perk, which might be useful on high-mobility killers if you combine it with BBQ & Chili. Zanshin Tactics seems to be designed to help new killers learn how to run loops; seems good to me.

The only thing I don't like about Oni is some of his add-ons: Iridescent Family Crest seems way too weak for an Ultra Rare add-on.

New Survivor: The new perks are powerful. Any Means Necessary and Breakout seem decent. I'm not sure if they're strong enough to break the usual meta of Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike, Adrenaline and Dead Hard, though. Any Means Necessary can be good if the Killer doesn't break pallets much, but it doesn't strike me as completely game-breaking, considering its long cooldown and 3-second cast time. Breakout might be good in some cases, but I think it's a pretty situational perk. I'd rather have perks that prevent me from getting picked up in the first place, rather than perks that might allow me to free a teammate, if we get lucky with hook placements. Plus, the killer can always just slug the survivor and chase you if you're trying to free them with Breakout.

Legion changes: As someone who plays Legion, I think it's a definite improvement. I'm glad the Button add-ons are finally useful, and I appreciate having faster movement and vault speeds. I don't mind having the Mend time shortened to 12 seconds, either. Overall, I think it's a pretty nice buff. Personally, I'd like it if I didn't lose the entire duration of Feral Frenzy if I missed an attack, but I understand that BHVR doesn't want to make Legion a completely brain-dead killer.

Spirit changes: As someone who doesn't play Spirit but dislikes playing against them, I approve. Although I'm not sure if they went far enough with their changes; she might need more down the line.

Perk changes: I think the nerf to Balanced Landing is well-deserved, since it opened up a lot of god-tier loops on many maps. Maybe Haddonfield will be tolerable to play on as Killer now.

I like the changes to Kindred; I think it'll really help you make good decisions as a solo survivor. One of the most common problems you run into as a solo player is not knowing whether your teammates are going for an unhook or not, so the rework to Kindred should help alleviate that issue.

The changes to No One Left Behind seem useless; it's still going to be trash-tier compared to perks like Adrenaline and Borrowed Time. If a perk only activates after the Exit Gates are opened, it needs to do something amazing to be worth considering, and No One Left Behind's effect is not amazing.

Comments