Devs, consistency is not a shortcut to easy balance

Now that the patch notes are finally official, we can hopefully talk about this.

So, here's the thing: I understand that you are striving for consistency - it's easier programming wise, it's easier for new players to understand how an ability/perk synergies (or anti-synergies), but it's not the easy way out to balance a game that has I don't even know how many perks and so many killers.

Ok, let's see just a couple of examples now:

Deep Wound effect

Deep Wound timer starts counting down when not in a Terror Radius. This means that every killer with an Undetectable status effect will counter the timer. Plus, Borrowed Time can work only if the unhooking survivor was in TR by himself.

The result is that every stealth killer can bypass BT every time.

Easy solution: DW timer stops if in TR or if in a chase. The problem of BT not activating will remain, but one thing at a time..

Basic Attack = Attacks without a killer power active

First of all, if this is how you want to define what is a Basic Attack, and you want so much consistency, then you need to apply this reasoning also for hits after uncloaking for Wraith, blink hits for Nurse, Phantasm hits for Hag, T3 hits for Myers, Intoxicated hits for Clown, Spirit hits after phasing.

You see where this is going: you would make a lot of perks borderline useless for killer, only for the sake of consistency.

What you want is to define Basic Attacks as attacks using M1 (or: base attack trigger).

Legion attacks with M1, not with M2, and that also applies for all the other cases above.

You have to understand that Legion needs to apply basic attacks debuffs / gain tokens while in feral frenzy, because right now that's the only real power that he can rely on to slow the game (1) and make future hits easier / stronger (2).

We don't care about being faster in running and vaulting during FF, we already can first hit survivor easily enough, we just need a way to follow up, and you are taking it away.

Balance Landing

Nope, that's a fair change, sucks to be you toxic Nea! 🤡


Please @Peanits, even if you don't already agree on this, pass on this infos or at least think about it :(

Comments

  • note that I'm not talking about Beast of Prey - Legion interaction simply because it's implicit in the Deep Wound paragraph - but it's obviously a huge reason why it's easy to understand why consistency may be a problem.

    A possible solution: rework BoP to gain bloodlust faster or add a slight speed boost for every bloodlust level - no Undetectable effect. But maybe it was already like this in the past, I don't remember...

  • This content has been removed.
  • What you want is to define Basic Attacks as attacks using M1 (or: base attack trigger).

    Legion attacks with M1, not with M2, and that also applies for all the other cases above.

    I don't think that would be a correct definition, since both Pig and Demogorgon use M1 to do their special attack.

  • @White_Owl said:

    What you want is to define Basic Attacks as attacks using M1 (or: base attack trigger).

    Legion attacks with M1, not with M2, and that also applies for all the other cases above.

    I don't think that would be a correct definition, since both Pig and Demogorgon use M1 to do their special attack.

    I don't have any of them, I thought that they would charge with M2 and attack by releasing it.

    Well, then change it to attacks using M1 without having M2 pressed at the same time, is it how it work for them?

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/849079#Comment_849079

    I don't have any of them, I thought that they would charge with M2 and attack by releasing it.

    Well, then change it to attacks using M1 without having M2 pressed at the same time, is it how it work for them?

    No only the Demogorgon, with the Pig you just hold M1 while crouched.

    Anyway I think what separate special and basic attacks is when the attack is the actual power. In the case of the Wraith, for example, the power is the cloaking. It might let getting hits easier, but the hit itself is not part of the power. Same with all the others mentioned.

    In the case of Legion instead, FF changes the nature of the attack, allowing it to not have a cooldown and apply a status effect to waste survivors' time, so it can't be counted as a basic attack. If that is a good thing or not is questionable.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/849079#Comment_849079

    I don't have any of them, I thought that they would charge with M2 and attack by releasing it.

    Well, then change it to attacks using M1 without having M2 pressed at the same time, is it how it work for them?

    in basic pseudocode (it's not meant to be a working example, just to visualise the logic):

    Screenshot 2019-11-19 at 17.58.09.png


  • @White_Owl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/849092#Comment_849092

    No only the Demogorgon, with the Pig you just hold M1 while crouched.

    Anyway I think what separate special and basic attacks is when the attack is the actual power. In the case of the Wraith, for example, the power is the cloaking. It might let getting hits easier, but the hit itself is not part of the power. Same with all the others mentioned.

    In the case of Legion instead, FF changes the nature of the attack, allowing it to apply a status effect to waste survivors' time, so it can't be counted as a basic attack. If that is a good thing or not is questionable.

    Again, you are trying to follow a consistency different from mine (in my case it's inputs, in yours is behaviour).

    You are not wrong, and I'm not either, it's just different interpretations - your being the ones Devs are choosing to follow. But at what cost?

    That's where my suggestion stems from.

  • oh, I didn't see the new perk Nemesis.

    ...then tell me consistency is not dangerous :P.