Initial thoughts in a sea of fury
So, here's yet another post about the Spirit changes, on the day that they were released, before any testing has been done, and before anyone really knows for sure how this is going to affect her viability as a killer, etc.
The point being; this post, like all others released today and in the near future, should be taken with a grain of salt. Am I angry? Yeah, the changes were unnecessary and not what she needed. Am I gonna stop playing? No, this is the nature of the beast of paying killer. No one is safe, and eventually they're all going to be useless. But, I digress.
The Spirit changes were not what she needed. Collision was not a huge problem, there was counterplay. Don't stand in the loop tiles like an idiot with your thumb up your ass. Move away, sit in an unpredictable spot while still being close enough to react in some way to her unphasing. The missing vault animation was something that was actually very integral to her kit and her mindgames. She was one of, if not the, only killer who could mindgame in this way and it added a new part to chases that added to the experience, even on the survivor's side. The problem is, most survivors now choose instead to fight to get the killer nerfed instead of trying to learn ways around it.
What she really needed was a reliable way to determine if she was phasing no matter the skin or the lighting. How this could be done without completely making it unusable, I'm not sure. Maybe some sort of quirk in her idle animation, maybe something more discernible with her shards. Again, I'm not exactly sure. All I know is that in the effort to make all the killers "standardized" it is ruining some of the lesser known parts of their kit. While in some ways I can agree that killers need to be standardized, for the vast majority of changes or suggested changes, I disagree wholeheartedly.
Killers do not need to be standardized as much as you think. Considering how weak the vast majority of them are (only 3 killers are truly viable in the worst-case scenario) if you standardize them all to an average playing field, you will end the viability of all killers across the board. This is, obviously, going to ultimately kill the game as the killer playerbase will leave the game for survivor, or the game entirely. We can already see the beginnings of this, through the atrocious survivor lobby times. I play both sides regularly, and I can say with 100% certainty (as will almost every other player) that the queue times for survivor are much, much, much, much longer than killer. I've waited as long as 30 minutes for a single lobby (only to be dodged by the killer as we were in a 4 man SWF) while when I play killer I get lobbies almost immediately. This is because the killer playerbase is already dwindling. This is going to kill the game. There is no denying this. And every nerf that comes to killers will add to this disparity until one day survivor lobbies take hours to find, and killers become such a premium that even the survivor side begins to leave.
TL:DR The Spirit changes were unnecessary, she still needs to be changed even further, reversing the changes already made (bar Prayer Beads, ######### that #########) and if killers continue to receive unnecessary, overkill nerfs like they have been for a very long time, the game is going to die. And quickly. And no matter your side, nobody wants this.
Now I've wasted enough time at work, time to get back to everyone's favourite thing in the world; telemarketers.
Comments
While I feel like it won't be enough as the main reasons people hate her haven't been addressed yet, I'd wait until the PTB comes out. They can always change her further as necessary.
You have to admit though, some of those addons needed a change (especially when they were combo'd together lol)
Like I said, or maybe didn't say well enough idk I was at work and it was hectic, I agree with most of her add-on changes. But I disagree with all of her basekit changes. They weren't the issue, so I don't know why they bothered with it. But then again they gutted Nurse, Legion, old Freddy, and many more killers for no reason so I've given up with this balance team
Well people were asking for the collision removal and I agree with it, same with vault animation. The base speed out of phase was mainly a QoL thing.
She's fine, she didn't even need nerfs. These are more qol changes, what she actually needed. Even the devs think she's fine, stop
You're right standing still should be a counter to a killer. So should running in a straight line. In fact why don't we remove all intelligence from playing survivor and just make killers sit in a corner so survivors can do whatever they want
The add-on changes was all she needed. Collision was fine, literally countered by not standing in the tiles like an idiot. The window animation was a mindgames that had several counters depending on what window they were using. Literally all you have to do is have a brain and you can counter her but instead survivors choose to ######### until they get to just bully whoever they want without thinking.
What?
Dude I'm a killer main and I play her on occasion so calm down. She was fine before, yes, but these aren't even nerfs, these are qol changes and any good Spirit will remain completely unaffected