Why I think the free exclusives is the worst decision, ever.

I'm honestly shocked that BHVR would do something so drastic with such disregard for the old and dedicated playerbase.

The reasons stated for giving the exclusives out free were because of scammers, right?

Well, first of all, why does that mean the New Year event and Summer BBQ event exclusives needed to be given out, you can't even buy codes.

Onto the main exclusives, exclusives are more than just cosmetics for many people. They hold sentimental value, and a reminder of the old days when the community was much smaller and DBD felt like more of an indie game. Why would you just take all of that value away from them, and expect the exclusive holders to just accept it and act like they're fine with it?


I know simply withdrawing the codes isn't an option, as Peanits has said. That would have been an ideal work around, assuming you can't still just withdraw unused ones.

But, What I'm asking for at least, is that you give back to the original holders. You could give them a version of the exclusives which is covered in blood, similar to prestige cosmetics but applied on top of the exclusives. It's not a crazy change, like legacy, but would be a nice way of discerning who had the exclusives when they were actually worth something. Make the codes no longer redeemable if possible, but make it so anyone who has already redeemed them receives a bloodied variant of said cosmetic. If not this, can you AT LEAST put a note on the cosmetic, thanking those who were original exclusive holders. Because this just feels like they didn't put any thought into the effect on the players.

IMO, this is the best way to still implement the free exclusives, without it feeling like a huge "######### YOU" to their older players who went to the events or earned them.

..and although it was out of their hands that people began to sell the codes and pay lots of money for them, that doesn't mean they should just ignore them and say "it's their fault" when all of the exclusives were never announced to return at any point.

I'd also like to point out that apparently exclusives are unfair to "completionist" players who can't get them.. and yet BHVR has an exclusive Nea cosmetic, interesting.


Just, please don't give everyone the exclusives alone, please. I, and many others would feel really disregarded. It honestly makes me lose a little faith in BHVR, who I often defend to my last breath even when they make questionable decisions.

I'd like to hear other opinions, but only if it's in the form of constructive arguments and discussion. Any form of condescending demeanour or mockery towards people who are unhappy their exclusives are being made worthless will be removed.

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • @TheLastGreatStar said:

    I don’t see the issue. I have some of the exclusives but I’m not bothered about this. I’m not a fan of limited or exclusive offers. I don’t think it’s fair that newer fans aren’t able to obtain certain cosmetics just because they weren’t there to participate in events. And at the end of the day, it’s not that deep. It’s just clothing for a character in a game. Games are supposed to be fun and provide some escapism. Why has everything always gotta be so negative?

    problem is not from you caring or not, devs not care about exclusive owners first

    how to know event items will be "free for everyone" sudden and all those time limited grinds are gone?

    yes, event started from devs so that was for free but time is free?

    if they respect any of old players they should compensate with anything even small things like auric cells because its not about money, if theres players have lots of moneys they still not happy about it, but they just skip them over and ignoring,

    solving with communism and saying like "for greater good" isn't working in liberal country

  • I think that people who owned exclusives previously have a right to an exclusive charm at the very least. Something glowy and distinct- and not obtainable through the rift. That way, it’s just a charm that can’t be obtained otherwise (and charms are already pretty small). I owned exclusives myself, and I can get the reasoning behind why they’re becoming free— and people were getting scammed, and that’s bad PR which BHVR can do nothing about. Granted, they did spend a lot of money over an ingame item, but that could be said for any game with prominent skin trading, such as CSGO where knives can cost thousands of dollars.

    I was upset— of course, but I received my exclusives through a giveaway; rather than tournaments, PAX tickets, all that jazz. But I want to have a reminder, and a charm could be a good thing to replace it, and charms hardly matter in the grand scheme of things, and since they’re minor, (and couldn’t be received via code or anything), it maintains it in a way that isn’t completely in your face and can serve as a good reminder.

    TLDR: I think people who owned exclusives prior to this deserve a charm, it’s only fair to them. The charm needs to be somewhat flashy and stand out compared to regular charms, and cannot be obtained in any other form.

  • TBF console players never had a chance to unlock some of these cosmetics. I do understand why people would be p#ssed off tho. Maybe have a hall of fame for the people who had these cosmetics before everyone else on the main menu or a symbol next to their name. Something like that just so someone can go "wow he/she took part when these skins were really rare and actually managed to get one"

  • No big deal for me. Some of them look old anyway.

    If those skins were attached to some kind of “veteran program” I could understand people being upset.

1 2 3 ›