Killer Categories And Counters
Allot of discussion about Spirit and Nurse is that they didn't have viable counters. IMO, the killers should be generally divided into a few categories with counters to their play styles.
Hypothetically...
A chaser killers (spirits, legion, nurse) should be countered thru stealthy survivors.
Stealthy killers (Myers, Ghostface, wraith) should be countered by being better at getting away.
Environmental (hag, trapper, plague) is by moving slower and being more observant.
Hybrids /not-sure (Freddy, doctor,) requires a mix of changes .
I know this isn't actually how the game works, but I wish it did. As it is now, other than subtle differences, you don't really need to change your play style much depending on who you're facing.
I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this... I guess I'm just rambling. I think what I'm finding is that when I face different killers, I'm not needing to change my style much. Maybe it's because it would make games longer and BHVR seems to want to make this a game of tag vs hide-and-seek.
I dunno. Carry on.
Comments
I'd say the groups are this:
Trap Killers: Trapper, Hag, Freddy. These killers alter the environment in order to catch survivors off guard. They require strategy and proper trap placement to do well.
Stealthy Killers: Pig, Wraith, GF, T1 Myers. These killers require stealth and smart movement to get the jump on survivors.
Information Killers: Legion, Plague, Doctor, Demogorgon. These killers require you to know where survivors are, and so they gain this information rather easily due to KI, Infection from objects, Screams, and Portals. They have to know where survivors are to even be good.
M1 Killers: T2+3 Myers, Spirit, Clown. These killers must down people only with M1. Their power helps slightly, but they require mindgames to do well. Spirit is the only M1 killer to require different strategies against, but it isn't very different.
M2 Killers: Billy, Bubba, Nurse, Huntress. These killers have different mindgames to most. The chainsaw killers can one shot you if you're out of position, Nurse can ignore looping, and Huntress can punish people with proper aim. They require different chasing strategies to be countered, but most don't like to learn them.
As for which are strongest, I'd say Spirit and Hag are strongest right now, with new nurse behind them by a little bit.
I don't think most should be countered by looping, but that's what the devs have made their mind on...