One Year of Dead by Daylight!

My one-year DBD anniversary was this past Sunday, November 3! I wanted to post this thread on that day, but I've been in forum jail (which I totally deserved, because I was being rather mean-spirited to someone in another thread). But, better late than never! Here's what I've managed to do, in one year of playing this game.

Hours Played: 1,307, per Steam. I'm going to estimate that like 20% of this time consists of browsing menus, waiting for lobbies, or absentmindedly leaving the game client running in the background. So, let's say that I realistically have ~1,050 hours played.

Player Level: 84 (Devotion 2). I've also completed level 1 of the inaugural Archives tome, and I'm currently at tier 19 in the Rift.

Survivor Teachable Perks Unlocked: 53 of 57. All I'm missing are Ace's three perks, plus Jake's level 40 perk (Saboteur) since I picked up his other two perks from the shrine. I estimate that I have purchased about 15 survivor perks from the shrine. All unlocked perks are stacked on my current main, Claudette. (I wound up getting Ace's perks unlocked before the end of the Blood Hunt.)

Killer Teachable Perks Unlocked: 50 of 51. All I'm missing is the Pig's level 40 perk (Make Your Choice) since I picked up her other two perks from the shrine. I estimate that I have purchased about 7 killer perks from the shrine. All unlocked perks are stacked on my current mains, Nightmare and Spirit.

Highest Survivor Rank: 6 (although I wound up hitting rank 5 the very next day!). I play a lot of solo, and also a lot of SWF duo with the same friend daily. I favor what I call an "aggressive stealth" play style, where I try to stay as far away from the killer as I reasonably can, rotate away from where he currently is, stick to gens like glue, and prioritize rescues when they aren't going to result in the killer snowballing. I'm still not great at looping, but I am getting better by inches. My current build is Spine Chill, Iron Will, Bond/Empathy (depending on what I'm doing), and a fourth rotating perk (currently usually either We'll Make It, Windows of Opportunity, or Alert).

Highest Killer Rank: 8. I actually just got into purple ranks for the first time last season, but I also don't focus too heavily on peak performance with killer, and I tend to go for most dailies, even with killers that I am not remotely proficient with. I also sometimes let survivors go when I could kill them, and I almost always take it easy on groups that experience multiple disconnects. For what it's worth, during the last Blood Hunt (the one prior to the Halloween 2019 one), I played a total of 31 killer matches, and averaged 2.5 kills per match (with at least 3 kills in 21 of those matches).

Steam Achievements Earned: 84 of 137 (61%). I don't get too hot and bothered about achievements, although I have gotten all of the "Complete this specific gen on this map and survive" ones, and just over half of the Adept survivor achievements. Adept achievements (including ALL killers) account for 25 of my missing ones -- and I've also never prestiged a character, so I don't have any of those ones either.

Overall, this tally reaffirms my belief that the grind in Dead by Daylight is incredibly oppressive and player-unfriendly. I can't confidently say I spent my Bloodpoints with maximum efficiency, but it's taken me a full year and a thousand hours to even realistically be in sight of unlocking every perk. This really needs to be changed, because it's a very frustrating mountain to climb.

In any case, here's to year 2. I still love the game despite its issues. I'm cautiously looking forward to future Tomes (assuming that these level 4 Tome challenges are just placeholder, and won't be anywhere near as maddening as they currently appear). And, I'm eager to polish off my last few perks, and possibly start thinking about the idea of stacking them up on a second survivor (specifically Laurie Strode, who -- along with Bill -- seems to enjoy a psychological advantage that I call "Schrodinger's Perk," but that's a discussion for another forum thread). And, red ranks are finally in sight. Hopefully I get there in 2020!

Comments